cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Second manager in approval process error message "Cannot evaluate the parameter ..."

Hey all,

I'm creating my first flow with the intention of having two managers approve an asset transfer, in order, then email someone in our finance team a copy of the approval form. 

The approval form exists, I created a required column for the "To" and "From" (departments) managers, and the flow I've built looks like it should work.

Unfortunately, there's an error message under the second "Start an approval" step if the initial manager says "Yes". "Cannot evaluate the parameter 'type' at design-time; it is empty or has a runtime expression." is what I'm seeing and I've included a screenshot of both the Flow and the List that the Flow pulls from.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information and please let me know what final steps need to be taken in order to make this flow work. 

Thank you!

AdamFlow.PNGList Location.png

3 REPLIES 3
Regular Visitor

****UPDATE****

I tested the flow today and got a failure on the first approval. You guys have an idea why the columns I made are having an issue?

failure.PNG

Hi @KeenAdam,

Could you share detailed configuration of the two Start an approval actions?

About the error message “Required field ‘assignedTo’ is mission, empty, or contained no valid users” means that there is something wrong with the user Assigned to field.
I guess that you have filled in this field with dynamic content of Compose Output. However, dynamic content From will not return a valid email address that can be used for AssignedTo. Please try to use dynamic content “From email” instead of From.

About the error message “cannot evaluate parameter type at design-time”, it seems that you are trying to use the Output of Compose2 for the Approval type.

Please select the approval type from the dropdown list.

Besides, the same with action Compose, please use To email in Compose2 then select the Output of Compose2 for the AssignedTo field of Start an approval2.

Please check the following flow for more details:

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Approval details,

approval details.PNG

"From email" and "To email" are the fileds I'm using in the Compose sections.

If the "Approval type" is "Anyone from the assigned list" would that mean that any manager who has ever been in the list could approve the transfer? The goal here is for myself to upload the document, get approval from the two managers I select, then send it off to finance after only those two managers have approved the transfer in order.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,983)