cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gsharrow
Level: Powered On

Select individual items from a MS form "multiple answers" question

I am new to flow and cannot figure out something that I thought would be pretty straight forward.

I have created a microsoft form to do a small survey.  I created a flow to push the data to a power BI data set.  I have a couple questions on the form that allow the user to pick more than one answer ("multiple answers" is selected for the question).  For those questions I want to push a row(s) into a specific table for each of the multiple answers they selected along with the response Id.   So if there are five choices and the user picked three I would add three rows to a table in the power bi data set, if they picked four choices, then four rows would be added to the table.

I can get everything to push to the data set correctly, except I cannot figure out how to split out the individual choice items into individual rows.  Right now for these types of questions it puts the entire string into the data set table field.  This is an example of what gets put into the data set table field for a question where two items were selected.   ["Azure Analysis Services","SSAS Tabular"]

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gsharrow

Re: Select individual items from a MS form "multiple answers" question

I figured it out.  The multi selection question returns a json string array of the answers you selected.  If you use  parse the json (action/data operations/parse JSON) and then apply to each it will loop through each one and you can (in my case) insert tem individually into a power BI table.

Once I figured out the JSON array part it was very simple to do.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gsharrow

Any thoughts on this, or a pointer to specific documentation on the topic?

gsharrow

I figured it out.  The multi selection question returns a json string array of the answers you selected.  If you use  parse the json (action/data operations/parse JSON) and then apply to each it will loop through each one and you can (in my case) insert tem individually into a power BI table.

Once I figured out the JSON array part it was very simple to do.

View solution in original post

japanice
Level: Power Up

Hi! May I ask what you put in the schema of your parse JSON operation? I can't seem to make mine work.

C_Gull
Level: Power Up

@gsharrow Could you throw some screenshots this way? Specifically of the schema that you used to parse your JSON? I'm still very much a novice to JSON and LogicApps and would appreciate any assistance that you can provide. Thanks in advance! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,947)