cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanL
Frequent Visitor

Selecting persons from a list

I am using Power Automate in an Education setting.  I have created an MS Form for users to submit requests for pre-planned teacher absences, so that we can approve, organise cover for any lessons, notify appropriate staff for duties and activities cover, etc.  I have a flow that triggers when a new form is submitted.  The flow retrieves the data from the form and starts the approval process.  Currently, the approval process is sent just to me, so that I can test it works.  Thankfully, it has, so far!

The next stage of this development is to use the response to one of the questions from the form to lookup the line manager(s) from a list, so that the line manager(s) may approve the request.  I have set up a basic list (using MS Lists) with 2 columns, FacultyName (string) and LineManager (person).  It is possible for a teacher to be a member of one or more faculties, so the MS Forms has a list of these faculty names from which the user may select multiple items:

IanL_0-1638465699691.png

I believe the MS Form question results in an array of at least one or more elements, assuming at least one item has been checked on the MS Form.  I need to iterate through each of these elements, find them in the FacultyName column of the MS List and obtain the LineManager(s) associated with the matching FacultyName(s) in the list, so that I can appoint them as approvers.  With the output (at least one or more persons) I think I need to add their email address(es) to the approval step, which currently just has my email address hard-coded there for testing.

I am at a loss of how I might be able to do this and would welcome any advice or guidance.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
miguelcas
Employee
Employee

Hi @IanL 

Thank you for your waiting, Here are some steps to resolve your issue. I'm going to explain you the process. 

1.  First we need the trigger to get the new response to your form and then an action to get de details. 

miguelcas_1-1638547878187.png

2. As you said, the outcome of a multiple choice question will return an array. For example { 'text1', text2' ,... }. So we need to handle this array using the Parse Json action that will create a json from that array. This will help us to manage that data in the flow.

miguelcas_2-1638548152176.png

As you can see, we are just getting the multiple choice question as a Content in the Parse Json action. In my case that's the question y my test form. Then just adding a variable that will contains the emails as a string to be use in the upcoming approval. 

3.  Add an apply to each to go through the array that has the faculties. This array is the output from the Parse Json action. 

miguelcas_4-1638548752989.png

Basically, what we are doing here is per each faculty in the array, we will search in your list for the row that matches. Adding in the advance settings the follow filter query will help us with that. Use Title as the column from the dropdown or Head Of Faculty if it's in the dropdown. Sometimes the Title column will not change the name internally, even if you change the name of the column.  In the filter query select from the dynamic content Item, this is from the body of the Parse Json action. 

4.  Once we got the row of the faculty, we need to search for the email of the person in the Person Column. Add a new apply to each within the first one with the value from the get item action as the input. Add the Append to string variable, select the variable we created and from the dynamic content search for the email from the person in the Person Column and next to that add ';' because emails need to be separate with that. 

miguelcas_6-1638549135324.png

This action will concatenate all the emails from the list in the variable. 

5. at the end, add the Approval and use the variable as the Assign to input. Sometime adding the variable from the dynamic content, the action will add a semicolon next to it. Delete that semicolon at the end, the variable already has it.

miguelcas_7-1638549415044.png

I hope this works for you! 

Thank you for using Microsoft Power Platform Communities.
Community Support Team - Miguel Castro.
If this Post helps, then please consider Accept as solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
miguelcas
Employee
Employee

Hi @IanL 

Can you tell me if the Line Manager column has more than one email?

If you can share a screenshot of where it suppose to be the second step of your development it would be amazing and we need an image of your MS List 

I'm working on your case and I will be happy to help you. 

Kind Regards

IanL
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for contacting me @miguelcas .

Here is a screenshot of my list:

IanL_0-1638481335628.png

Faculty is a column of 'strings'.  Head of Faculty is a column of 'persons'.

Here is the extract from the flow:

IanL_1-1638481508462.png

I need the email address of the person (or multiple addresses, if the teacher is a member of two or more faculties) to be available in the 'Assigned to' field. 

If there is more information that would be useful, please ask.  I am very grateful to you for your help.

miguelcas
Employee
Employee

Hi @IanL 

Thank you for the information. Just two more thing we need to know it's that you need to sent the same approval request to each head of faculty email, that means one of each can approve or both, or you need to send two or more approvals depending of the number of faculties someone submit in the form, that means each approval would be independent from the other ones. 

the other thing we need to know it's if the flow need to wait the approval, if yes, what we need to do then? 

IanL
Frequent Visitor

Hi @miguelcas 

I would like to send the same approval request to each head of faculty email (where that faculty has been chosen in the completed Form) but only one of them needs to approve.  Of course, if the teacher belongs to only one faculty, then only one email to that head of faculty and that person must complete the approval.

The flow should wait until approval is given before proceeding (I've used Start and Wait for an Approval - I think that's the right one?)

The rest of the flow seems to be working just how I want it.  I tested it by having my own email address typed directly into the 'Assigned to' field!

miguelcas
Employee
Employee

Hi @IanL 

Thank you for your waiting, Here are some steps to resolve your issue. I'm going to explain you the process. 

1.  First we need the trigger to get the new response to your form and then an action to get de details. 

miguelcas_1-1638547878187.png

2. As you said, the outcome of a multiple choice question will return an array. For example { 'text1', text2' ,... }. So we need to handle this array using the Parse Json action that will create a json from that array. This will help us to manage that data in the flow.

miguelcas_2-1638548152176.png

As you can see, we are just getting the multiple choice question as a Content in the Parse Json action. In my case that's the question y my test form. Then just adding a variable that will contains the emails as a string to be use in the upcoming approval. 

3.  Add an apply to each to go through the array that has the faculties. This array is the output from the Parse Json action. 

miguelcas_4-1638548752989.png

Basically, what we are doing here is per each faculty in the array, we will search in your list for the row that matches. Adding in the advance settings the follow filter query will help us with that. Use Title as the column from the dropdown or Head Of Faculty if it's in the dropdown. Sometimes the Title column will not change the name internally, even if you change the name of the column.  In the filter query select from the dynamic content Item, this is from the body of the Parse Json action. 

4.  Once we got the row of the faculty, we need to search for the email of the person in the Person Column. Add a new apply to each within the first one with the value from the get item action as the input. Add the Append to string variable, select the variable we created and from the dynamic content search for the email from the person in the Person Column and next to that add ';' because emails need to be separate with that. 

miguelcas_6-1638549135324.png

This action will concatenate all the emails from the list in the variable. 

5. at the end, add the Approval and use the variable as the Assign to input. Sometime adding the variable from the dynamic content, the action will add a semicolon next to it. Delete that semicolon at the end, the variable already has it.

miguelcas_7-1638549415044.png

I hope this works for you! 

Thank you for using Microsoft Power Platform Communities.
Community Support Team - Miguel Castro.
If this Post helps, then please consider Accept as solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you once again @miguelcas,

I am stuck at Step 3 of your instructions above.  I have tried multiple ways of trying to resolve this, but cannot seem to find a solution.  In your screenshot, in the Filter Query for the Get Items action, you have a drop-down list to select 'Title equals Item'.  However, this is not presented to me in my version (difference between Edu and Normal version?)  What I can see is:

IanL_0-1638618328674.png

How do I either change the view (so that I can see them same as you) or create a query that has the same results as 'Title equals Item'?

Thank you for your continued patience and delivery of clear instructions to a novice!

IanL
Frequent Visitor

Aha!  By using the filter query in Get Items of:

IanL_1-1638661961750.png

I have been able to get it to work.  The bit I was missing was the ' ' before and after the Item!

I am so very grateful for your kind assistance @miguelcas

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (7,601)