cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Microsoft Sherlock
Microsoft

Send Approval Email to different users based on Sharepoint List Column Value

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests, I am trying to send an Approval e-mail to different users depending on a specific column value that was filled out by a user in a Sharepoint List. The best way I thought of doing this was using a Switch control on that column category. The idea was I would initialize a variable called "Email" with an OBJECT type (please let me know if it should be another data type) and have a switch control to define the "Email" variable depending on what column value was picked: If Intellectual Property, personA's e-mail would be picked, if Confidentiality, person B's email....all the way to Category 26, where Person Z's email would be populated. After the respective e-mail is set in the EMAIL variable, I wanted to use that variable in the "Assigned To" field in the "Start an Approval" section, but I can't seem to use variables.

Please let me know if anyone has a fix for this or if anyone has a better approach satisfying this use case. I'd greatly appreciate any and all responses.

Flow email error.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Send Approval Email to different users based on Sharepoint List Column Value

Ya, I think so.  I'm pretty sure that's what the "Assigned to" field is looking for.

You'll want to adjust your Set Variable to just be the email address (won't need all that extra stuff).

Another thing to consider is Compose vs. the Variable.  It's quicker and gives you more flexibility.  I think John Liu has a few posts on that.

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Re: Send Approval Email to different users based on Sharepoint List Column Value

@Sherlock 

Hi there!  What is the variable type?  Before I dig in too far, want to make sure that's a string, ya?

-Ed-

If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

Microsoft Sherlock
Microsoft

@edgonzales hey! It is an Object...should I have tried it as a String? :S

Super User
Super User

Ya, I think so.  I'm pretty sure that's what the "Assigned to" field is looking for.

You'll want to adjust your Set Variable to just be the email address (won't need all that extra stuff).

Another thing to consider is Compose vs. the Variable.  It's quicker and gives you more flexibility.  I think John Liu has a few posts on that.

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

View solution in original post

Microsoft Sherlock
Microsoft

Ed! It works!

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,624)