cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BegeNCSU
Level: Powered On

Send PowerApps Push Notification While PowerApps is Open

I've been able to create a flow that will send a push notification to iOS users, but only when PowerApps is not open. Is there any way to send a notification while the app is open?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Send PowerApps Push Notification While PowerApps is Open

Hi @BegeNCSU 

This is not doable directly as power apps cannot be notified of any such notification. 

As a workaround for this, what you can do is, create a list/entity in any data source which will hold this notification text. Now, create a timer(let's say which runs every five minutes) on the PowerApps and checks if data exist on this list/entity. The idea here is to use list/entity as a temporary storage for notification and flow will save this value in the list, then there will be a delay of 6 mins and the record will be deleted when the delay is completed. This delay will be greater than powerapps timer so that once the message is displayed, the same gets removed from the list using the flow. 

Timer Config:
Auto-Start -> true
Repeat -> true

Expression to be used on "OnTimerStart" property of the timer:
Refresh(DataSourceName);If(CountRows(DataSourceName) > 0, Notify(First(DataSourceName).Title))

This will display a notification when there exist any record in the datasource.

Flow:MicrosoftTeams-image (67).png

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @BegeNCSU 

This is not doable directly as power apps cannot be notified of any such notification. 

As a workaround for this, what you can do is, create a list/entity in any data source which will hold this notification text. Now, create a timer(let's say which runs every five minutes) on the PowerApps and checks if data exist on this list/entity. The idea here is to use list/entity as a temporary storage for notification and flow will save this value in the list, then there will be a delay of 6 mins and the record will be deleted when the delay is completed. This delay will be greater than powerapps timer so that once the message is displayed, the same gets removed from the list using the flow. 

Timer Config:
Auto-Start -> true
Repeat -> true

Expression to be used on "OnTimerStart" property of the timer:
Refresh(DataSourceName);If(CountRows(DataSourceName) > 0, Notify(First(DataSourceName).Title))

This will display a notification when there exist any record in the datasource.

Flow:MicrosoftTeams-image (67).png

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
BegeNCSU
Level: Powered On

@yashag2255, you offered a really fun solution to this problem!

From a wider scope, what I'm trying to to do is provide a random pulse survey through Forms to users of the app so ask how well the app is working for them. Over time, I'm hoping this will give the development team an idea of how the users are feeling about the app.

What I might do is build on your idea and do a check to see if I've accumulated enough reponses for the day. If the total is below 10 for example, then I can use the Notify or a modal window to pop up and ask them to take the survey.

For anyone interested in a less roundabout solution, there an idea for PowerApp Push Notifications Appear When In The App

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hey @BegeNCSU 

Interesting! At first I thought what could be a usecase of this thing but your reply just makes more sense now!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,923)