cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate I
Advocate I

Send Survey when SharePoint Item Updated

Hey team, I need some help.  I have a list of sharepoint tasks, and I want to send an email when a task is marked as done.

However, our team frequently makes updates to finished items (either intentionally or unintentionally), and I don't want to send a email every time an item is updated if the field Status field = "Closed". I need something at least a little more robust.

Each sharepoint item is a task, and the emails essentially a message to the stakeholder like "Your item is done, here's a link to take a survey about our service".

So I was thinking I should make a flow that runs daily, and only sends emails for all items where the status field is "closed" and the last modified date is 5 days ago.  That way an email doesn't go out until an item has been closed and stayed untouched for 5 days.

Although that means another email would go out if the item was edited again later. Which is rare but could be annoying to the recipient.

Any suggestions?  Is there some other way to trigger the flow? Maybe on item creation (and then have it somehow wait until the status field is "closed")?

6 REPLIES 6
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @ShawnKeeneTF 

You can indicate conditions in the Flow trigger to filter if the item is "Closed" or not. Please check on the following URL: https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/flow-trigger-conditions-for-sharepoint-run-flow-when-needed/

It contains some examples of trigger conditions formats that you can try to implement is your specific scenario.

Best Regards

If this post helps you give a :thumbs_up: and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @ShawnKeeneTF 

Another thing you can do is create another choice type column in the SP list and create choices as Sent and Pending. By default set that to Pending. Now in the recurrence flow that you have, you get items according to the conditions and have the loop to send email for each item and just after that add an action to update the item where you select the email option as sent. 

Remember to modify the filter query or the condition to check for the new column and bring items that have the email option as pending only. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

@yashag2255 thank you, I will add a field to hold the "sent" status.

@chsanche I was unaware of that trigger option you shared, I thought I had to use the filter query field do to that, which I used Status eq 'Closed' in there.  But how do I also include the date rule?  I need three criteria:

Status is Closed (it's a dropdown field)
Surveyed is No/False (it's a yes/no field)

Modified is 5 days ago

Hi @ShawnKeeneTF 

You can indicate multiple conditions with an AND condition as indicated on the URL: https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/flow-trigger-conditions-for-sharepoint-run-flow-when-needed/

Also, you can use the AddDays formula to subtract days, there is an example on the following URL: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Need-to-subtract-days-from-one-date-field-with-re...

Best Regards,

--

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions help users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

If this post helps you give a :thumbs_up: and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution

For some reason it's not working for me and I don't know why. I try to test the flow and it says the trigger action was never performed. But I definitely did create and edit list items in the list, and they definitely do match the criteria I entered.

@equals(triggerBody()?['Surveyed'],false)

@equals(triggerBody()?['Status'],'Request Complete')

Hi @ShawnKeeneTF 

Can you please one condition at a time? Just to check if one of the conditions is not right. Also, can you please confirm if the column name in SharePoint is exactly as you are indicating on the formula? This is a common issue that happens in Flow using SharePoint.

Best Regards,

--

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions help users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (66,127)