Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaylou
Level 8

Send an Alert only when a specific column changes

HI All,

I have a list where it is very important that an alert is sent when DateCompleted is modified.

I am using the "When an Item is mdified" FLOW template

I tried to use a Switch condition, I dont have switch case since I dont know what the date will be chaged to, so I added the Email alert in the default If no case... but the alert goes out when any column is updated, Is there a way to only send the DateCompleted is updated?

TIA,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Send an Alert only when a specific column changes

Hi @jaylou,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about the DateCompleted column? Is it a Date type column in your SharePoint list?

Further, could you please show more details about your SharePoint list?

Currently, there is no trigger of SharePoint connector could directly detect if the specific column of your SharePoint list has been changed within Microsoft Flow. 

But you could consider take a try to create another Date type column (PreviousDate) to store the previous Date value of the DateCompleted column. I have created a SharePoint list on my side and the data structure of it as below:13.JPG

Note: The DateCompleted column and the PreviousDate column are both Date type column.

When you add a new item in your SharePoint list, the DateCompleted column and the PreviousDate column are set to same date as below:16.JPG

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When an item is created or modified" trigger, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a Condition, left input box set to DateCompletd dynamic content of the trigger, right input box set to PreviousDate dynamic content of the trigger. Within middle drop down, choose is not equal to.
  • Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Send an email" action. Then add a "Update item" action, specify Site Address and List Name. The PreviousDate column set to DateCompleted dynamic content of the trigger.

Image reference:14.JPG

15.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:17.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jaylou,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Could you please show a bit more about the DateCompleted column? Is it a Date type column in your SharePoint list?

Further, could you please show more details about your SharePoint list?

Currently, there is no trigger of SharePoint connector could directly detect if the specific column of your SharePoint list has been changed within Microsoft Flow. 

But you could consider take a try to create another Date type column (PreviousDate) to store the previous Date value of the DateCompleted column. I have created a SharePoint list on my side and the data structure of it as below:13.JPG

Note: The DateCompleted column and the PreviousDate column are both Date type column.

When you add a new item in your SharePoint list, the DateCompleted column and the PreviousDate column are set to same date as below:16.JPG

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When an item is created or modified" trigger, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a Condition, left input box set to DateCompletd dynamic content of the trigger, right input box set to PreviousDate dynamic content of the trigger. Within middle drop down, choose is not equal to.
  • Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Send an email" action. Then add a "Update item" action, specify Site Address and List Name. The PreviousDate column set to DateCompleted dynamic content of the trigger.

Image reference:14.JPG

15.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:17.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

jaylou
Level 8

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the idea 🙂  I will mark this solution as answered..

This way I can show both dates in my alert.  

The way I went around this was on an update I send an email highlighting the date.  Since it is only coming to myself and one other person, I figured we can look at the date and see if we need to do something 🙂

I am going to update my FLOW and table and do it right 🙂  

I would really love it if FLOW would be able to look at the previous version of the list item and show both the pervious(strike thru) and the new data (highlighted yellow) on all columns specified in the FLOW alert when an Item is updated.  

Sort of the way "Alert me" works. I am trying to get the best of both worlds, FLOW would be an "Alert Me" on Steriods.  

I guess that's asking too much 🙂

Thanks again,

Joe

Casper_DS
Level: Power Up

Hello,

I have a question about this solution.

I have the same problem andtried this solution. I just have another problem when i try this.

I would like to send an email on the moment the value changes in the column. 

When i try your solution, the email only gets sended when there is created a new item and the column is changed with the previous item. 

Kind regards,

Casper

@jayloudid you raise your request on the uservoice forum? If so I would like to vote 

joef
Level: Powered On

Hi @Basic_User007 ,

yes I did but it seems like we are the only people that like to show what was changed.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Sharepoint-List-Version-History/idi-p/286565

No one has voted for the history to be accessible and Microsoft's only response it to have a second list to hold the previous versions which to me is not even a thought.

@joefdid you review the alert me feature in sharepoint? I have been looking at it this morning as a potential and it works quite well so thought I would let you know 

joef
Level: Powered On

Yes Alert me is great when only you want every change in a list.

But if you want to control who and when the alerts go out you need FLOW.

The genisis of this request was to get the history when a column changes.  The fix here was to create another column and update it useing FLOW when the real column changes.  My user voice is to expose the version history without using API calls.  I am looking into creating the API so I can highlight the changes like "Alert Me" does.  If we were able to customize Alert Me that would elimintae the need for FLOW for most of my uses.

I have many lists with many columns so when FLOW sends the alert when "Status" changes it doesn't highligh the changes, which should have been the first thing FLOW thought of.  I send 20 columns in the alert, which one changed??

Thanks for the suggestion 🙂

Joe

Agree with you @joef especially if one of the selling points with Flow is a low code, no code design so that any user can potentially create a workable Flow. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 391 members 6,608 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: