cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWat1
Regular Visitor

Send an email if duplicate item added to Sharepoint list

Hi, I am by no means a Flow expert so please be gentle.

I am trying to make a flow that sends an email if a new item is created on a SharePoint list, but with a condition that IF that item contains a duplicate, send an email to someone else and then continue running the flow.

I have seen multiple posts partially explaining how to possibly do this, but they don't all explain the full process.

Can anyone help?

9 REPLIES 9
Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@JWat1 

I have detailed how to check if an item exists on a sharepoint list in the article below:

https://onlinemgblog.wordpress.com/2021/05/29/building-flows-1-check-if-item-exist-and-update-if-exi...

So you can follow the steps to check if an item exists but modify the actions you take.

Hope this gives you an idea!

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Blog: here
JWat1
Regular Visitor

Thanks for this, although I can't seem to apply the same logic to my own flow. I suspect this is my own lack of skill or knowledge however.

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@JWat1

It is not lack of knowledge but you just can't get your head around it, can you share how you structured your flow.

Also I see it as the below steps:

1.Trigger of your flow should be when an item is created

2. Then you need to check for duplicate and this is should be through List items action with a filter that determines if an item with this filter already exists like for example ID eq '3'

If this List Items returned records this means that the item is duplicate.

If you share more details about your list structure and how you can detect duplicate.. I can provide you with a complete example.

If this post helps you with your problem, please mark your as Accepted solution.If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

JWat1
Regular Visitor

I hope you are right.

I have a column in a list called 'Pupil' which is comprised of email addresses and I want the flow to detect that and email accordingly.

Does my screenshot make sense or have I gone on a wild goose chase?

Thanks.Flow Error.PNG

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@JWat1

Is the trigger and Getitems on the same List, can you share a screenshot of the list itself?

I just wanna understand pupil and pupil email address but overall the flow looks good and you are almost there!

What is the type of the pupil column? Is it user group?

JWat1
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your help.

Yes, the trigger and list are the same.

Pupil column is email address which is auto filled when you search for a user but it's not a group email.

Flow Error2.PNG

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@JWat1 

In your ODATA filter please use

Pupil/EMail instead of Pupil only

Mira_Ghaly_0-1629239742828.png

JWat1
Regular Visitor

Hi, this causes the flow to fail.

I think the flow does actually run now, however I can't work out how to make the flow action the Condition.

Please see screenshot.

Flow Error.3PNG.PNG

Mira_Ghaly
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

@JWat1

As per your screenshot the flow didn't fail but the condition didn't evaluate to true that's why the email was not sent.

Also from the flow run you are still using Pupil and not Pupil/EMail and also the value passed is empty. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,148)