Did you mean: 
jay312
Helper V
Helper V

Send an email if the 'Assigned to' field changes to someone else

Hi,

I have a SPO List.

1) User fills in form and enters a name into the 'Person/ Assigned to' field

2) When they click submit an email is sent to the assigned to.

This part is OK to do

3) If the person comes back and edits the assigned to and types in Person xyz.. I want to send an email to that Person instead.

I had this working I think by creating a second column called 'Previous Assigned to' and storing the 'Assigned to' person in here once created.

Is this the best way to do this?

Is it possible to send an email to the NEW assigned to person but CC in the email, the first Assigned to person...

May be overcomplicating it but does this make sense? There is a pic below of my flow.

image.png

6 REPLIES 6
DeepakS
Super User
Super User

Hi @jay312 

you can query the prev version  using "Send http request" action and use that to find  the last assigned user. here is an example:

VersionNO.png

Regards,

DS

Hi @jay312 

Another option to think is created by field? Created by value never gets changed and it stored the name of the person who created the record.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

Thanks, this may work for the majority, but the Assigned to may change multiple times so may not be accurate sadly

Hello @abm 

Thanks for reply,

Does this work for creating a new item/ Record on a SharePoint Online list? Is the 'When a Task' part the same as saying When an Item?

How can I find the get last task version action? not sure what it is called :).

Do you have any more info on how to set this up so it works like, if a user modifies the record and changes the assigned to, to someone else, send an email to the New assigned to person and CC in email the previous owner? I would not want to use Created field if possible here 🙂

Hi @jay312 

Believe you need to enable the version history for lists. Then use similar When an Item is created and get the version history to find the previous value. Please see @DeepakS  post.

May I ask you how do you maintain both names now? 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

Hello @abm @DeepakS 

For now all I done is..

I created a second column called 'Previous Owner'

Then I have a condition saying when an item is created or modified, if the Assigned Owner is NOT equal to the previous owner,

Send an email to the assigned owner. 

After this I update the item and update the Previous Owner Column to the Assigned Owner value so the flow does not keep re-running

Does this make sense? I think it works.. but I don't know if I missed some test or if it may mess up somewhere..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,657)