Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Atlantis
Level: Power Up

Send approval to shared e-mail address

Hi Community

I am trying to create with MS Flow an approval process that sends after a SharePoint entry an approval e-mail to a shared inbox. I would like to achieve that everyone who has access to the shared e-mail inbox (back office department) could fetch an approval request and process it. The problem: According to a few community entries, it is currently not possible to send approvals to a shared e-mail address. Basically, my blueprint is the following:

1. After a SharePoint entry is done, send an e-mail to a shared e-mail address
  2. Everyone who has assess to that inbox could process the approval
  3. Look at the approval, click on “Agree” and write in the in-email comment section an ID/text
  4. An e-mail is sent to the SharePoint entry author with the ID/text communicated above
  5. Update the respective SharePoint entry with the ID

I know how to use MS Flow to cover the above steps 1, 4 and 5. Unfortunately, step 2 and 3 seem not be possible, as an error message appears when using a shared e-mail adress in the "assigned to" field. Are any workarounds out there how to use the MS Flow functionality to cover step 2 and 3? Thank you for any help!

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Send approval to shared e-mail address

@Atlantis :

As you mentioned, Flow approvals do not support shared mailboxes.  You could use a Start and Wait for Approval action and configure it so that all it takes is one approver.  You could assign the approval to as many people as you want.

Another option is to use the Send Email with Options action rather than approval action.  You can define your options as Approve and Reject.  The email could be send to a shared mailbox and the Flow will pause until a response is received.

If this answers you question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my solution, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Zoe_A_2000
Level: Powered On

Hi Scott,

Please can you let me know how i would set this up so it is not an approval but gives the approve reject options to a joint mailbox? 

Thanks, Zoe

@ScottShearer wrote:

@Atlantis:

As you mentioned, Flow approvals do not support shared mailboxes.  You could use a Start and Wait for Approval action and configure it so that all it takes is one approver.  You could assign the approval to as many people as you want.

Another option is to use the Send Email with Options action rather than approval action.  You can define your options as Approve and Reject.  The email could be send to a shared mailbox and the Flow will pause until a response is received.

If this answers you question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my solution, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

JuliaNEC

@Atlantis 

Hi Zoe

I am having the same problem as you with getting an approval request to a shared mailbox, and wondered if you found a way around this at all, without having to send it to individuals?

many thanks

Julia

km2
Level: Power Up

I am also having the same issue.  I could put all the emails into the approval box but found that the more i have, the less the approval actually runs.  A shared mailbox would decrease the amount of people get the approval email and have more success in it running.  I have been having ALOT of issues with the flow not running consistently.  Microsoft needs to fix this.  Why does it just stop all of a sudden, no change made.  It seems that if i have more then 3 emails for the approval, it doesnt work consistently.

Mahendra_Nikam

Hi,

In my case, On SharePoint list item modified email send to users for "Approval" just one option as "Approver" . I tried with send email with options and it works for only if we send email to 1 user and its wait for an email response but we send an email (To) multiple users it will not wait for an email response.  and flow will success or completed. 

Help Appriciated.  Thanks in advanced !!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 485 members 6,439 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: