cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

Send as email - SharePoint new item trigger

Hi all,

I'm looking to better understand if/how it is possible to send email on behalf someone.

I have a Flow that is triggered when new item is created in SharePoint list.

1) Under which account is such Flow running? The creator of Flow or the the creator of SharePoint item?

Such Flow is trying to send email notification where sender should be some specific email address.

2) Is there some chance to configure specific account that is running this action? Like for example to trigger some Flow via http call that is created under specific account that have rights to send on behalf of such mailbox. Will this work?

I know that you will navigate me to solution if there is any, as I am not able dig it out.

Thank you

P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Send as email - SharePoint new item trigger

@vecerpa:

In answer to your first question, the Flow is running in the user context of the connection that is taking the action.  This is a similar concept to an impersonation step in a Designer workflow.  That account usually is, but need not be, the creator of the Flow.

I don't have a specific answer to your second question other than to say that you can configure any action with any account.  Obviously, you need to know the credentials for that account.  Stated another way, any given Flow can run actions with connections using different accounts - all you need to do is add connections for the account that you want to use.  I do not know if there is an Exchange web service available in Office 365 that will allow you to send as someone else (assuming that the account has permissions to do so).  I suspect that question is better asked on one of the Exchange forums.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I hope this helps...

Scott

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

@vecerpa:

In answer to your first question, the Flow is running in the user context of the connection that is taking the action.  This is a similar concept to an impersonation step in a Designer workflow.  That account usually is, but need not be, the creator of the Flow.

I don't have a specific answer to your second question other than to say that you can configure any action with any account.  Obviously, you need to know the credentials for that account.  Stated another way, any given Flow can run actions with connections using different accounts - all you need to do is add connections for the account that you want to use.  I do not know if there is an Exchange web service available in Office 365 that will allow you to send as someone else (assuming that the account has permissions to do so).  I suspect that question is better asked on one of the Exchange forums.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I hope this helps...

Scott

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Hello,  @vecerpa!

Have you had an opportunity to try @ScottShearer‘s recommendation? If yes, and you found a solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and post it as a comment on this thread and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Flow Community Manager
Super User
Super User

Hi @GabrielStJohn,

I found solution same day by myself Smiley Happy

You know, when you are looking for something under pressure you are not able to find solution by yourself. Then you stop for a coffee break and it appear in front of coffee machine Smiley Happy

P.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 261 members 4,462 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: