cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sam12
Level: Powered On

Send email 'When existing item is modified' triggers the send email 'When new item is created' flow.

SharePoint Online List with Flow

I have created 2 Flows on a SharePoint list:

1. Send an email when a new item is submitted

2. Send an email when an existing item is modified

They are both working, however when a new item is submitted, it triggers both emails (ie they are being duplicated). Is there a way you can just trigger the create email when new items are created without triggering the second Flow (when existing items are modified)?

We need an email to be sent when an item is created and also a different email to be sent when an existing item is modified.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Send email 'When existing item is modified' triggers the send email 'When new item is created' flow.

@Sam12 :

There is no SharePoint trigger that fires only when an item is modified.  The trigger you are using actually fires when an item is created OR modified.  If you used a template, the template name may have been a little misleading.....

To work around this issue, put a condition immediately after your trigger that compares the created and modified times.  If they are the same, then this is a new item.  You can use a control terminate action to end the Flow.  If you use the control terminate action, make sure you set the status to Success - it defaults to failed.

After the condition, your Flow can continue.

OnlyModified.jpg

If this answers your question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Send email 'When existing item is modified' triggers the send email 'When new item is created' flow.

@Sam12 :

There is no SharePoint trigger that fires only when an item is modified.  The trigger you are using actually fires when an item is created OR modified.  If you used a template, the template name may have been a little misleading.....

To work around this issue, put a condition immediately after your trigger that compares the created and modified times.  If they are the same, then this is a new item.  You can use a control terminate action to end the Flow.  If you use the control terminate action, make sure you set the status to Success - it defaults to failed.

After the condition, your Flow can continue.

OnlyModified.jpg

If this answers your question, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

Scott

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,570)