cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Send email if item is modfied (sharepoint list)

Hi

Im trying to achive the following.

I have a sharepoint list with a Column named Comments (Multiple line of text)

I also have a Column named: Assigned (Person or Group)

Trying to create a helpdesk ticket system.

I Assign myself to the ticket so my name is in the Assigned Column.

Now i want to send a message to the user that created the ticket and i want to use the Comment Column for this.

If i type in the comments column it should send a email to the requester that placed or created the ticket.

If the requester or someone else adda comment in the Comments Column the email should be sent the one in the Assigned Column.

If i edit the Comment column i can see that a field next to the comment contain the name of who edited it last.

See image.

2019-03-26 10_25_41-Entry Point North - HelpDesk - All Items.png

So im trying to figure out how can i use this in flow.

If user edits comment a email should be sent to assigned.

If assigned edits comment a email should be sent to requester/created by

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Send email if item is modfied (sharepoint list)

Hi @JimmyWork ,

You could use When an item is created or modified as the trigger, and determine whether Created is equal to Modified. If it is not equal, the current item is modified.

Then you can determine if Modified by email is equal to assigned email, and if so, send the message to requester/created by, if not, send the message to assigned.

36.PNG

But the part that is difficult to implement with MS Flow's current action is that the current trigger cannot determine if the specified column has been changed. It just checks if the items in the entire list have changed.

So if the user does not change the comment field, just change the other fields, it may also trigger Flow.

If you want such a feature to be supported by MS Flow, please consider voting for a similar idea below:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Modified-trigger-should-give-previous-values-for-fiel...

In addition, some blogs mentioned that it seems that you can use HTTP Request to determine whether the specified field has changed, please check following links and see if it helps:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Check-for-a-Change-in-a-SharePoint...

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JimmyWork ,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the Flow I configured will be triggered when the item is created or modified, but only the modified item can continue to execute the following action.

For your needs, personally think that the most appropriate way is to use a trigger such as when the specific column is changed.

But unfortunately, such a feature is not available at present.

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JimmyWork ,

You could use When an item is created or modified as the trigger, and determine whether Created is equal to Modified. If it is not equal, the current item is modified.

Then you can determine if Modified by email is equal to assigned email, and if so, send the message to requester/created by, if not, send the message to assigned.

36.PNG

But the part that is difficult to implement with MS Flow's current action is that the current trigger cannot determine if the specified column has been changed. It just checks if the items in the entire list have changed.

So if the user does not change the comment field, just change the other fields, it may also trigger Flow.

If you want such a feature to be supported by MS Flow, please consider voting for a similar idea below:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Modified-trigger-should-give-previous-values-for-fiel...

In addition, some blogs mentioned that it seems that you can use HTTP Request to determine whether the specified field has changed, please check following links and see if it helps:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Flow-Community-Blog/Check-for-a-Change-in-a-SharePoint...

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Thank you im testing this out.

If i have multiple flows in reacting to the same list when item is modified or created, does it matter for me to check certain columsn only? I understand that would be best practise but does it interfere with anything at the moment? I have 3 flows on the same list reacting to different things so when i user creates or edits something all 3 flows would run again. Best thing would be if only ran the flow as u stated when the specific column is changed. 

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Testing now and it seems i cannot have if item is created or modified, because if a new item is created it will now send an email to user edits comment.

So i guess only when item is modified maybe

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @JimmyWork ,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, the Flow I configured will be triggered when the item is created or modified, but only the modified item can continue to execute the following action.

For your needs, personally think that the most appropriate way is to use a trigger such as when the specific column is changed.

But unfortunately, such a feature is not available at present.

Best Regards,

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Thank you i will keep on testing today Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Edited.

Found this, now i dont know how to do it in practice but might be a workaround?

I have faced this same issue and I solved with the workaround like this

1. Take created date and add 1 minute with it and assign it to a variable
  2. Check this variable less than current time.

It done with the following assumption

a. No one try t edit the item within one minute, it created

b. Workflow will execute within one minete

In my case it was success

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

@v-bacao-msft 

I belive your flow is actually working as i want.

Only issue is if i create a new item the flow now fails due to the first condition.

Created by is not equal to Assigned by.

When a new item is created, Assigned by will be empty and the flow fails.

So if i can add something like If Assigned by equals empy or false then exit flow

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

It seems that Created by is not equal to Modified by

This creates an issue because when Created By edits and adds new information the flow is not triggerd.

Helpful resources

Announcements
FirstImage

Microsoft Ignite 2020

Check out the announcement of Power Platform content at Microsoft Ignite!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,393)