Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Send email notification when a field is modified

Hello everyone,

I need to create a flow for a SharePoint list with following requirements: 

Field A gets modified and is not null -> triggers email notification A

Field B gets modified and is not null -> triggers email notification B

Field C gets modified and is not null -> triggers email notification C

These fields can be modified all at the same time and can be modified at random times. If they are all modified at the same time, email notifications A, B, and C should be send. What I am struggling with is if only Field B gets modified and fields A and C values stay the same, I only want notification B to be send.  

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Tatyana ,

Since the function to check for the column update is not supported in Microsoft flow currently, we could only check for the item update currently, you could only take a try with @ScottShearer 's suggestion to have a copy field.

And you could take a try to create the flow, feel free to ask here if you have any problems.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

@Tatyana 

The ability to check for a change in a SharePoint column is not an "out of the box" feature in Power Automate. 

There are really just 2 ways you can accomplish your Goal:

1. Create hidden duplicate columns for each of the columns that you want to monitor.  When the item is created, use Flow to sync the columns.  When the item changes, check to see if the columns are the same or different.  Take action as appropriate and then sync the columns.
    1. If you go this route, you'll likely have a problem with an infinite loop.  Here is a link to a blog post that I wrote that shows how to avoid the infinite loop.
  2. Another option is to make an HTTP call to SharePoint and check the values of the columns in the previous versions (you have to turn on versioning.  Here is a link to another post that I wrote describing how to do this.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @Tatyana 

For your requirement you need three flows. You can't capture from single flow which field user is updated.

See below

image.png

Click on the three dots and select Settings. Under the trigger condition you need to select your trigger condition expression. See below I am checking whether name is modified or not?

image.png

Do the same for other two flows as well.

You don't need to check whether Field B is modified and other values are same or not. Because you have three flows with independent triggers it will keep it as separate trigger only.

Of course you can add all three triggers under the trigger conditions in one flow but the issue is you don't get any control over which field is user modified. I believe you need three separate flow here with unique triggers.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials
Regular Visitor

Hello @abm 

Thank you for your quick response and suggestion. I attempted it and got the following syntax error. I tried various things, but wasn't very successful. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

SyntaxError.PNG

@Tatyana 

Try putting an @ at the beginning of the expression.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thank you @ScottShearer , that fixed my syntax error.

However, the method doesn't seem to meet my requirements. With 3 different flows set up, I'm still getting all 3 notifications when only 1 field gets modified. 

I will try one of your @ScottShearer solutions tomorrow and will keep you posted. 

Tatyana

Hi @Tatyana ,

Since the function to check for the column update is not supported in Microsoft flow currently, we could only check for the item update currently, you could only take a try with @ScottShearer 's suggestion to have a copy field.

And you could take a try to create the flow, feel free to ask here if you have any problems.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Power Platform: 2021 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April through September 2021.

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Users online (19,927)