cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bedge
Level: Powered On

Send email to "Assigned To" user - Only Once!

Hello!

I'm trying to build a flow to notify a dynamic user once a ticket has been assigned to him/her.

assigned.png

As you probably know, as of now the flow triggers each time the item is updated and sends the user an email each time the item is updated.  What can I do to tweak this to only run when the field changes from blank to populated. Or from one user to another? If the field doesn't change, I don't want it to send the email.

The same logic would apply for when the ticket is flagged as resolved, and someone makes an update to the item. It sends that same "Your ticket has been resolved" email again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Send email to "Assigned To" user - Only Once!

Hi @bedge,

Do you want the flow would only run when the "Assigned To" field changes from blank to populated or from one user to another?

If you want the flow would only run when the "Assigned To" field changes from blank to populated or from one user to another that means you want the flow would only run when the "Assigned To" field changes,and the the flow wouldn't run when only other field changes.

The trigger "when a special field is changed" is not supported in microsoft flow currently,

If you would like this trigger to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

As an alternative way, you could add a Yes/No type column "AssignedToIsChanged" in your sharepoint list, and every time when an item is modified, if the "Assigned To" field is modifed, then you must set the "AssignedToIsChanged" field to "Yes",if the "Assigned To" field isn't modifed, then you must set the "AssignedToIsChanged" field to "No".

So you could add a Condition under the trigger to check if the "AssignedToIsChanged" field is equal to true, if the "AssignedToIsChanged" field is equal to true, that means the "Assigned To" field is modifed, so you could send the email inside the If yes branch, else, do nothing inside the If no branch.

Best regards,

Alice

bedge

Hi @v-yuazh-msft,

Thanks for the reply. I'll  make that suggestion in theFlow Ideas Forum.  As for the workaround, would someone have to manually change the value of the  "AssignedToIsChanged" field?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @bedge,

Yes,  the workaround would need someone to manually change the value of the  "AssignedToIsChanged" field.

Best regards,

Alice

bedge

Thanks @v-yuazh-msft

Are you aware of any other methods available to automatically send a user who is identified as the person responsible for working this "ticket" an email notifying them it's assigned to them?

I could use Planner,  and  use the out of the box notifications, but i'd lose out  on all of my item metadata doing so.  Any other creative solutions out there?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @bedge,

I afraid that the workaround that I provided is the only way to achieve your requirement and there is no any other way could achieve your requirement in microsoft flow currently.

Please take a try on my solution and let me know if your problem could be solved.

Best regards,

Alice

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @bedge!

Have you had an opportunity to apply @v-yuazh-msft‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,757)