cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GeorgOrwell

Send email when Excel worksheet rows are updated

Good day,

I'm building a simple ARI/Past due report tool in SharePoint which aims to track things like due dates, customer name and user notes. I want to create a flow which automatically sends out an email if an ARI/Past due item was open/closed. 

For example:

Item#Open/CloseDue DateAmountNotes
1Open01/01/202215Sent reminder
2Closed01/02/202225Invoice paid
3Open04/05/202236Pending

I've toyed with Power Automate but the issue is it will trigger notifications when any cell on the worksheet is updated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
schwibach
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Yes... I would recommend using SharePoint lists instead of Excel. For automation it is a lot more robust and you can change one record completely and won't run into the problem, you're currently dealing with.

In a Team (or another SharePoint site) you'll have to add new list and create the columns that you need. Stick to text and integer/number columns (and the date column that you need) for the beginning. They are easier to use than the other ones.

There are some really good videos on youtube to use SharePoint as a data source for PowerAutomate.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
schwibach
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Well,... it does what it's supposed to. When there is a change, it fires.

I'd really recommend using SharePoint as a data source or triggering the flow manually from Excel Online

Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

or..... you could have the flow delay by 5 minutes and then get that row. That will give you time to make all the updates.

Could you please explain how can I use SharePoint as my data source. Doe you mean to use Lists instead of excel? 

Adding a delay is a great a idea, thank you!

schwibach
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Yes... I would recommend using SharePoint lists instead of Excel. For automation it is a lot more robust and you can change one record completely and won't run into the problem, you're currently dealing with.

In a Team (or another SharePoint site) you'll have to add new list and create the columns that you need. Stick to text and integer/number columns (and the date column that you need) for the beginning. They are easier to use than the other ones.

There are some really good videos on youtube to use SharePoint as a data source for PowerAutomate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (6,349)