cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rayc12281996
Regular Visitor

Send email with a list of actionable items in monthly basis

Hi Community,

I am a completely newbie to Flow so please be patient with me.

I was asked by boss to create an automation that send out a list of actionable items with due date (in the form of excel table) to the team so that they can work on it in due time.

I read some posts and I have some ideas in my mind now: -

Create a scheduled / reccurring flow
Creat a HTML table (This is the most confusing part for me as the number of actionable items vary in different month)
Outlook - Send an email (to a specific person and cc my boss)

Do you guys think it is a good direction to go or is there any easier way to achieve that?

Thank you so much in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
yashag2255
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hey @Rayc12281996 

You are pretty much correct on the steps part. Can you share what is the data source? Based on that you might have to do some filtering for getting individual tasks for individual people. 

If your data source is a SP list, you can do something like this:eer1.PNG

Get items action and then initialize an array variable to store the unique names of all the persons who have tasks assigned. 

eer2.PNG

For each unique name, filter array to get the tasks assigned to them and create an HTML table from that and finally send the email action. 

eer3.PNG

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

@yashag2255 Thank you so much

My data source is stored in my One Drive sharing with the team and I'd like to retrieve the data using Excel Online (Business) -> List rows present in a table

you can see the actual content below for your reference: -

Table of the data sourceTable of the data source

To be precise, I would like to send a list of actionable items (items with deadline2 equals to the current month) an email at the start of every month. As you can see from the table, there may be only one item in October and two items in November. So I cannot define the number of row in advance and it has to be dynamic and flexible.

Meanwhile, I am following your instruction to build the flow but I am confused at certain points: -

Flow following your instructionFlow following your instruction

1. In Create HTML table, what does it mean by Body? How can I amend the structure & content of the body?
  2. How can I define the email address for each specific person as in Person In Charge?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @Rayc12281996 

So your questions first:

1. Body is basically the output of the filter array. This means, it will be an array that consists of items/ rows that have the column Person in charge value equals to the current item in the iteration. There is not really much that you can change here. If you want to customize the column headers and that stuff, you can do that in the advanced options of the action by defining custom headers. 

2. In SharePoint usually the Person type column gets you all those details. In excel, you might have to create another column and then store the email address of the respective person for that particular row over there. Or you can use the office 365 users action to get the user and then get their email from there. 

The create HTML table is created from that array so irrespectice of the number of rows, this will create it based on the output of the filter array action so the dynamic rows part will be automatically be taken care of here. 

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

@yashag2255 

Somehow the Flow does not work. It sends out email regardless of whoever I wanted to send email to.

Simplified TableSimplified Table

Expected outcome: -

To: Peter@abc.com                  To: Edward@abc.com
----------------------               ---------------------------
Task 1                                       Task 4
Task 2                                       Task 5
Task 3

Thanks so much in advance!

Hey @Rayc12281996 

Can you share a screenshot of the flow? Can you check the filter that you are looping and how the records are getting filtered? that way we might be better able to identify the issue and assist you with this. 

Hope this Helps!

@yashag2255 

The belows show how my flow was built. Also, how can I check how the records are getting filtered?

1/31/32/32/33/33/3

Hey @Rayc12281996 

So you need to get rid of the entire apply to each 3 loop and just add the Send an Email action below the create an HTML table action. You are already iterating on each unique email in the apply to each 2 loop/ 

Hope this Helps!

Hey @Rayc12281996 

Were you able to resolve? If this issue is resolved, please mark the response that helped you as 'Accept as Solution'. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,964)