cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_k

Send email with attaching file from SharePoint library document

Hello Experts,

I hope I can get quick assistance to the issue I'm facing when it strange to be happened when I'm following the correct steps as per my online search checkup.

I'm building a flow with the trigger “when a file is created or modified (properties only)” and then I did the following two actions to be able attach a file from the SharePoint library document to an email.

1- After the “when a file is created or modified (properties only)” I added the action "Get file content” and specified the Site Address, the file Identifier, and Infer Content Type=Yes.

2- After a valid condition, I added the action "Send an Email” and specified the Attachment name and Attachment content that is outputted from "Get file content”

The flow run successfully and I received the email with attachment; but the attachment file type is not valid or recognize and unable to open it.

Any advice…

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @m_k,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you type the output of "Get file content" action within Attachments Name field of the "Send an email" action?

I think there is something wrong with Attachments Name field and Attachments Content field of the "Send an email" action within your flow. I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a file is created or modified (properties only)" trigger.
  • Add a "Get file metadata" action, specify Site Address and File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Get file content" action, specify Site Address and File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@not(empty(body('Get_file_content')))
  • Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Send an email" action, Attachments Name field set to DisplayName dynamic content of "Get file metadata" action, Attachments Content field set to File Content dynamic content of "Get file content" action.

Image reference:22.JPG

23.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:24.JPG

25.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @m_k,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you type the output of "Get file content" action within Attachments Name field of the "Send an email" action?

I think there is something wrong with Attachments Name field and Attachments Content field of the "Send an email" action within your flow. I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When a file is created or modified (properties only)" trigger.
  • Add a "Get file metadata" action, specify Site Address and File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Get file content" action, specify Site Address and File Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:
@not(empty(body('Get_file_content')))
  • Within "If/yes" branch of Condition, add a "Send an email" action, Attachments Name field set to DisplayName dynamic content of "Get file metadata" action, Attachments Content field set to File Content dynamic content of "Get file content" action.

Image reference:22.JPG

23.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:24.JPG

25.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you very much @v-xida-msft

It worked now 🙂

I missed the action "Get file metadata" to get the attachment name. I used previously the file name from the trigger "When a file is created or modified (properties only)" as the attachment name and may be this is the problem.

dwdwdwdw

I've set-up a flow following the guidance on this topic (thanks!) and the file is delivered etc - however the file is missing the extension.

The type of file's im typically looking to send are .xlsx but i have also tested with .png and .jpg - all have the same issue.

I cant see how or where I can upload a screenshot. I'm using the dynamic content tag of 'name' for the AttachmentName, I cannot see 'DisplayName' as an available content tag. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I followed your instructions, but am not having success with sending the email. It's not failing, rather, I am told that the condition is not being met, so it is stopping on the email part. I have included a screen shot. Any help is greatly appreciated.Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I  have been struggling to do just this Your solutional worked perfectly. Thank you!

Excellent solution works well I attached it to the end of a "create document from List Item" then send the created document... All good ... Hans

Hi @v-xida-msft,

I tried this solution, In Outlook Attachment content I could not pass File Content. No values is shown in dynamic variables.

Need help?

Hi Experts,

I've set-up a flow following the guidance on this topic. but it doesn't work when the new item is created on my list. Did I do anything wrong. could you please advise ?

Currently I experienced difficult when I am developing the flow for getting the attachments contained in the email notification when new item added on the list. 

Thank you

send email.png

Thank you very much for your help. I have been trying to figure out why I can't attach the PDF that I just created from a Word Template from and list. 

I went through your steps but I don't have an advance option for the control. Sorry might be looking in the wrong location. 

I get this error when getting the PDF metadata. 

image.png

Regular Visitor

I have been able to send an email attachment using the information discussed, but the attachment comes through as an unidentified file type rather than the file type it was uploaded as (PDF file).

Any ideas on how to resolve?

mdiaz21
Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to do this without the share point list?

Regards,

Vanonymous
Regular Visitor

@v-xida-msft, this also works on my end! Thankie much!

Ramiz
Helper III
Helper III

The flow is working but the file extension is not coming. Any help in this?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you are passing the DisplayName or the Name parameter to the Attachment Name :

pranay27_0-1600931531117.png

DM4RSIU
Regular Visitor

Good afternoon,

I have a similar situation.  However, I am unable to 

Add a Condition, click “Edit in advance mode”, type the following formula:

When I add the condition - is does not allow me that option. Condition Query.png

Alexinux

Hey!

I tried this and it works, but to a point. And I've followed other posts too about attaching documents for emails but I get the same result. The email body goes through but when I test it on myself or another user the attachment is in a weird format and gives me a warning pop-up for trusting the PDF I attached. Is something wrong with what I'm doing. I've attached the screenshots for better understanding.

Alexinux_0-1644935766743.png

Alexinux_1-1644935814984.png

Here is the Flow I'm using:

Alexinux_2-1644935895150.png

Alexinux_4-1644936321876.png

Alexinux_5-1644936412891.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (1,475)