cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shanemeisner
Level 8

Send notification if new group is created

When a new Team is created the O365 group, by default, is not avaialble in the GAL.

We are aware we could use PowerShell to update the "-HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled" setting on a schedule basis, but we don't want to have this done for all Groups/Teams. We'd like to get notified when the new group is created.

We plan to use this information to ask the users if they need to have the team name avaialble in the GAL.

I tried to use the built in Alert function from Office365 to get alerted when new groups are created, but it does not include the group name( item value is blank) so I am hoping to create a Flow to retrieve the information from the Audit logs.

It seems something "simple" enough to do, yet I'm having troubles figuring out how to connect to the Audit Logs to retrieve the Name of the user, as well as the new Group name that was created.

Thanks in advance,

Shane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Send notification if new group is created

Hi @shanemeisner ,

Thanks for updating with more clarification.

I would suggest you vote the idea so that it could be taken into consideration and be an out-of-box feature for Microsoft Flow.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @shanemeisner ,

Do you want to get notified when a new Office 365 Group is created?

Currently, Flow doesn’t have a trigger for this, there is a similar request on Flow Ideas Forum, please vote and comment the idea at here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/Get-a-notification-when-a-new-O365-Group-is-created/i...

Best regards,

Mabel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
shanemeisner
Level 8

Correct, since by default now Groups created by MS Team are not avaiable in the GAL, we want to create a notification to be sent to a shared mailbox when they are created.

Then I plan to create another Flow to add the user who created it, as well as the group name to a SharePoint list.

Then have another Flow send a link to that item for the user to choose whetehr they want to invite the Team they created to meetings or not.

Since this information is in the O365 Audit Log I thought I might be missing a "easy" way to search the Audit log for this information.

As I mentioned, I setup an O365 alert to get notified of new Groups, but it only includes the User ID, not the Group name.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @shanemeisner ,

Thanks for updating with more clarification.

I would suggest you vote the idea so that it could be taken into consideration and be an out-of-box feature for Microsoft Flow.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Mabel

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,917)