cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SLBMetrology
Helper III
Helper III

Sending an email when a new task is assigned in MS List.

Hello,

I am looking to send an email out to the Maintenance Tech that is assigned to a particular MS List item.  I was able to get it to send the original email, my issue is anytime the line item is modified it resends the email.  I only want the email to send when it is originally assigned or if it is reassigned.

Thank you in advance for your help on this matter.

@annajhaveri you may be able to help on this one.  It is for the list that you resolved my previous issue with.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@SLBMetrology  i would suggest to use When item or file is modified trigger, then add Get Changes for an item or file action, configure it as shown in below screenshot. Then add condition action to check if Assigned To column  (the column in which you are storing assignee name) value changes, so you can select Has Column Changed: Assigned To in condition in left side of condition and select true from dynamic content -> expression  on right side of condition, please take a look at screenshot below:

annajhaveri_1-1612367696516.png

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

@SLBMetrology  my apologies, I forgot to mention that this approach requires enabling version history on the SharePoint list by going to List Settings -> Versioning Settings 

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer

8 REPLIES 8
annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

@SLBMetrology  Is this the different flow? Does the flow has trigger of when item is created or modified?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

@annajhaveri Yes, it is a different flow and has a trigger of when an item is created or modified.  

What was happening is it would send out the original email when it was assigned (as I wanted), but when I added that second flow (that you helped me with) to backfill item information it resent the "assignment" email a second time once the line item was updated. I'm guessing due to it being "modified".

@SLBMetrology  i would suggest to use When item or file is modified trigger, then add Get Changes for an item or file action, configure it as shown in below screenshot. Then add condition action to check if Assigned To column  (the column in which you are storing assignee name) value changes, so you can select Has Column Changed: Assigned To in condition in left side of condition and select true from dynamic content -> expression  on right side of condition, please take a look at screenshot below:

annajhaveri_1-1612367696516.png

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

SLBMetrology
Helper III
Helper III

It ended up erroring out.  I.ve attached photos of the error and how i have it set up.

Error.gifError 2.GIF

@SLBMetrology  my apologies, I forgot to mention that this approach requires enabling version history on the SharePoint list by going to List Settings -> Versioning Settings 

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

SLBMetrology
Helper III
Helper III

@annajhaveri   Thank you again!!  That did the trick.  Once again... you're amazing!!!

Marika21
Frequent Visitor

Hi @annajhaveri 

Thank you for this, I tried your solution with my flow as I had the same issue (the flow was sending email each time somebody updated the MS list) however for me this is working only when I change the assigned person.

When I'm creating a new item is not sending anything as the expression result is false. 

Any chance do you know what is not working?

Thank you! 

01.JPG

@Marika21 to identify whether new item is created, refer to condition added in this post https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Check-if-SharePoint-list-item-created-or-modified... as solution, you need to add that condition in your flow

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,730)