cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rjm
Frequent Visitor

Sending an email with variable number of attachments

I built a flow that drafts a specific type of email that my colleague sends out regularly. This email has to have PDF attachments that are pulled from one of our SharePoint libaries. Normally the emails contain two, but occasionally they contain three.

My issue is that the Send Email action fails if I've specified that there is an attachment name but instead the action receives a null value (since there is no attachment). 

What I'm looking for is a way to create a custom Send Outlook Email connector that has flexibility built into the attachments section - the connector might have room for five attachments, but if an attachment isn't supplied, it doesn't error out. Does anyone know how I could go about doing this?

I even started to recreate the entire email generator in PowerApps, but I found that PowerApps can't pass PDFs to the table it requires for adding attachments to an email (it can only handle media files with their content stored as BLOBs).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-zhos-msft Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Re: Sending an email with variable number of attachments

Hi @rjm ,

As you said, the pdf files are in a SharePoint library.

Are there other files you don't want to send as attachments in that library?

I have made a test on my side, I save the PDF files in one library without other files.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Expression reference:

Capture2.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhos-msft Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @rjm ,

As you said, the pdf files are in a SharePoint library.

Are there other files you don't want to send as attachments in that library?

I have made a test on my side, I save the PDF files in one library without other files.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Expression reference:

Capture2.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Zhongys

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

rjm
Frequent Visitor

@v-zhos-msftThank you so much! I spent 30 hours trying to devise workarounds before you shared this with me. I didn't know supplying the attachments field with an array would get around the issue. The only change I made to what you described was that I entered "ContentBytes" instead of "ContentByte" (for any users who try this method). I really appreciate the help.

Yemata Helper III
Helper III

@v-zhos-msft 

You saved my life!!! the reference link cleared up my confusion. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (8,046)