cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
austinthomas147

Sending email when assigned to changes in Sharepoint List

I've been recently creating some Sharepoint workflows in Flow. But I keep getting tripped up on creating an email notification when the assigned to field changes in an item. If I have the "when an item is created or updated" trigger in the initial assignment flow, it never seems to kick off. But if I create a separate Flow for it, I can't get the condition right because I have no dynamic data to pull from. Anyone else running into this? Would love to see a condition like "Value changes" or something like that.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yamao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @austinthomas147,

Do you want to create a flow to send an email when an item is created or modified with a value in the Assigned to field?

You said that it never seems to kick off, do you mean that the flow cannot be triggered though you have created/modified an item?

What do you mean by “have no dynamic data to pull from”?

I create a simple for testing likes below. It can be triggered without issues, when the Assigned to field has a value, an email will be sent out.

The code in the condition is:

@not(empty(triggerBody()?['AssignedTo']))

Please take it for a reference and try it on your side.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In my current Flow, I have the Assigned to value set based off value choice on a dropdown. For example: If issue value = Password Issues, assign to X employee.

The issue I am running into with the workflow is that I can't figure out how to get an email to send when the item is modified and the assigned to value changes. Using the previous example, employee X needs to re-assign the task to employee Y. I want employee Y to get an email that a request was assigned to her.

If I try to create a Flow using the trigger "When a Sharepoint item is created or modified", there's no logic expression to set a condition "if field assigned to changes" and I don't have the Dynamic Fields to pull from to do something like "if Update Item 1 Assigned to =/= Update Item 2 Assigned To Value. Just wondering if there's an advanced logic expression I can use or some way around this.

Hi folks,

I am facing the exact issue.

My Sharepoint list has the following columns. 

5.png

Please note:-

1. The Sharepoint list item has 22 columns and they will keep changing. The flow needs to only look at the "Assignedto". Currently using "Add or modify" is shooting an email every time the items in other columns is modified.

2. By default the "Assignedto" column is empty. So when the person's name is added, he/she needs to get an email.

3. If it's assigned to employee X and then it's assigned to employee Y, an email needs to be sent to Y.

Can someone with a bit of more knowledge on this please respond?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Vaz

Hi 

Works for me. thanks.😀

Hello,

That condition looks good but I can't get my workflow to display that kind of condition. It only allows for comparing values.
How can I enter the condition you showed there?

Thank you.

BR Franzi

@Varun_Pai wrote:

Hi folks,

I am facing the exact issue.

My Sharepoint list has the following columns. 

5.png

Please note:-

1. The Sharepoint list item has 22 columns and they will keep changing. The flow needs to only look at the "Assignedto". Currently using "Add or modify" is shooting an email every time the items in other columns is modified.

2. By default the "Assignedto" column is empty. So when the person's name is added, he/she needs to get an email.

3. If it's assigned to employee X and then it's assigned to employee Y, an email needs to be sent to Y.

Can someone with a bit of more knowledge on this please respond?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Vaz

Did anyone figure this out?  I have the exact same requirement

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,046)