cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SamirAlphaOmega
Level: Power Up

Sequential approvals- Using users other than Managers.

Hello!

Is there a way to set up a sequential approval without having it go to the users manager next? I am building an approval Flow for document revisions. A user suggests a revision on a document, then it will go to a group of people one by one that need to approve or deny the changes. I want to be able to make it so that it doesn't go to the users manager, but the appropriate group of people that needs to approve/deny. 

Appreciate the help folks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Sequential approvals- Using users other than Managers.

Here is a solution that should work for you.

First, I am storing the approvers in a SharePoint list.  The list is a custom list with a Title column and a Person or Group column that allows you to select more than one person but not groups. 

I am using the Approvers list as a lookup.  The type of document is entered in the Title column and the approvers for that type of document are entered in the person or group column.  The lookup column is titled "Type of Document".

The Flow starts with a "For a Selected Item" trigger.  My document library did not show in the dropdown list, so I entered it as a custom value.

Next, I use a Get File Properties action so that I can retrieve the value stored in the lookup column (Type of Document").

Once I know the type of document, I use a Get Items action to retrieve the row of data that has the approvers.  I am filtering the data returned by matching the type of document column with the title column.

Since there can technically be more than 1 row of data returned, I need to use an Appy the Each to work with the row of data returned - there will never be more than 1 row returned so this is OK.

Also, the person or group column has or can have multiple values.  Becuase of that, I am using a string variable to store the approver email addresses.  I am append an email address followed by a ; to the string with each loop.

I have one more apply to each loop - there will never be more than one row returned but I still need to use an apply to each.  This time I start an approval and assign the approval to the string variable that holds my approvers emails.

If this works for you, please mark this issue as solved.

If you have additional questions, please post here.

Scott

Approval1.jpgApproval2.jpgApproval3.jpgApproval4.jpgApproval5.jpgApproval6.jpgApproval7.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Here is a solution that should work for you.

First, I am storing the approvers in a SharePoint list.  The list is a custom list with a Title column and a Person or Group column that allows you to select more than one person but not groups. 

I am using the Approvers list as a lookup.  The type of document is entered in the Title column and the approvers for that type of document are entered in the person or group column.  The lookup column is titled "Type of Document".

The Flow starts with a "For a Selected Item" trigger.  My document library did not show in the dropdown list, so I entered it as a custom value.

Next, I use a Get File Properties action so that I can retrieve the value stored in the lookup column (Type of Document").

Once I know the type of document, I use a Get Items action to retrieve the row of data that has the approvers.  I am filtering the data returned by matching the type of document column with the title column.

Since there can technically be more than 1 row of data returned, I need to use an Appy the Each to work with the row of data returned - there will never be more than 1 row returned so this is OK.

Also, the person or group column has or can have multiple values.  Becuase of that, I am using a string variable to store the approver email addresses.  I am append an email address followed by a ; to the string with each loop.

I have one more apply to each loop - there will never be more than one row returned but I still need to use an apply to each.  This time I start an approval and assign the approval to the string variable that holds my approvers emails.

If this works for you, please mark this issue as solved.

If you have additional questions, please post here.

Scott

Approval1.jpgApproval2.jpgApproval3.jpgApproval4.jpgApproval5.jpgApproval6.jpgApproval7.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

SamirAlphaOmega
Level: Power Up

Thanks Scott! I appreciate the detailed response and screen caps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 53 members 3,621 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: