cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChadVKealey
Level 10

Serial Approval with Multiple Dynamic Approvers

So, this blog post describes how to set up a Parallel Approval with Multiple Dynamic Approvers. What I need is similar, but it must be a Serial Approval that completes after the first decision is made.

I've got a list of "Approvers" with two columns: Role (text field with either "Admin" or "Dept Head") and People (multi-select person field). There are currently two Admins, but will be another at some point soon; I'd rather not have to edit the Flow when that person comes on board. The existing Admins should simply be able to add that person to the Approvers list.

The Approval needs to be assigned to all of the People for a particular Role (e.g.: all of the Admins) such that the first one to act on it (Approve or Reject) completes the Approval. 

I've tried following the steps in that post and just changing the settings of the "for each approver" action to make it serial, but this still requires each of the approvers to make a decision. 

Any idea on the best way to do this that doesn't involve manually entering the emails into the Flow when people change jobs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Serial Approval with Multiple Dynamic Approvers

Hi @ChadVKealey

I have made a test on my side and have created a "person" field (multi-select person field) in a list as below:

Capture.PNG

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow and the approval would completes after the first decision is made :

Capture.PNG

When an item is created or modified, the flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ChadVKealey

I have made a test on my side and have created a "person" field (multi-select person field) in a list as below:

Capture.PNG

You could refer to screenshot below to create the flow and the approval would completes after the first decision is made :

Capture.PNG

When an item is created or modified, the flow would run successfully as below:

Capture.PNG

Best regards,

Alice

View solution in original post

ChadVKealey
Level 10

Yes, I see how that would work. I hadn't considered appending the multiple users' emails into one string variable. Thanks!

Highlighted
mowafakgabal
Level: Powered On

Hi, can someone help me with what am I missing / doing wrong.

I'm trying to add list of approvers emails from a Excel table to the Approval flow.

Capture-01.PNGCapture-02.PNGCapture-03.PNGCapture-04.PNGCapture-05.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

Look out for new contribution recognition badges coming SOON!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,940)