Set Content Approval Status "Access Denied" for run-only users

I have a very simple requirement:

• User A (Contributor) submit Document
  • User A triggers Flow for Document Approval
  • Document should be marked "Pending"
  • User B (Approver) receives request
  • User B approves
  • Document should be marked "Approved"

I am using the trigger "For a Selected File". The problem happens in the last step. "Set content approval status" fails with Access Denied. I read that the solution to it is User A should have Full Control.

That seems to be a REALLY BAD solution. Isn't the main purpose of having Contributors / Approvers to segregate functional permissions? If User A has Full Control, then we won't have the workflow itself.

I thought that Flow runs in the context of the Flow Creator? In this case, the Flow Creator is still User B. I verified permissions where I triggered the Flow using User B and it was able to finish the Set Content Approval Status.

Am I just doing something wrong or is it Flow itself that has an issue? Any solutions I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Waterborne
Level: Power Up

Re: Set Content Approval Status "Access Denied" for run-only users

Figured it out; when specifying the Run-Only users, there is an option to select which connection to use for specific Actions (ex. SharePoint). It was set to use the current context of the user that ran it. The solution is to select the connection which has more permissions (ex. Owner of Flow).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Waterborne
Level: Power Up

Re: Set Content Approval Status "Access Denied" for run-only users

Figured it out; when specifying the Run-Only users, there is an option to select which connection to use for specific Actions (ex. SharePoint). It was set to use the current context of the user that ran it. The solution is to select the connection which has more permissions (ex. Owner of Flow).

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,520)