cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Setting/updating managed metadata value with dynamic value

Hi! I'm trying to update a value of a managed metadata  SharePoint field with a value from a variable that gets updated during the flow. For example I have a term store with valued alpha, beta, gamma, omega and I would like to set value of the term store field with one of the values passed based on some conditions in the flow.

The issue I have that although we support setting managed metadata fields in Flow, it is expected to provide the value in form of Term name|Term Guid. I have unique name of the term, but I'm unable to get the term GUID. 

Any idea where to get the term GUID from or there is some way to update the metadata field by providing just term name?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Setting/updating managed metadata value with dynamic value

Hi @PWrobel,

If the term name is unique, you could use the Get items with Filter query to find the unique item, then update it though Update item action, for example:

Annotation 2019-11-21 135040.png

If the term name is unique, the return value of Get items will only one, then the Apply to each will loop once.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi Lin, I have one question - in this case do we need to have on the list an item that already has this term assigned? If there is no item with this term as value in field then it will not work, correct?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PWrobel,

Yes, if there is no such term assigned in the list, then the Get items action will return null, you can create a condition before the Update item action to determine the length of Get items whether is equal to 0. -If it not equal to 0, update item:

Annotation 2019-11-28 180435.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,118)