cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VeeLearnMSFT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

SharePoint List - Choice Column Drop Down File Name

I have a choice column in a SharePoint list which is a "Template Selection"  Is there a way to make a choice column reference a document library.  The document library contains WORD templates.  I want to be able to select the template to use.  What would happen is, a user would create entries to populate an employment contract but the user would also have to select the template.  We have like 50 templates and I am just trying to figure out a way where we can lookup the most recent templates in a repository so that its the latest one and then it would allow the user to select it through a drop down.  I dont want to have to create a flow for every single Template --Is this possible?

VeeLearnMSFT_0-1658008417299.png

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The problem is that the action to fill in the template gets the list of fields when you pick the template.  So if the user changes the template there is no way to fill it in because the action to fill it in doesn't know what fields to use. Its just not designed to work with dynamic choices like that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

That makes sense.

David-
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I am not following what you want to accomplish with this flow. So you have a form where the user fills it out and chooses from a drop-down menu of a list of 50 document templates. Then what, are you going to e-mail them a copy of the template as an attachment? It seems like it would be easier to create a SharePoint document library with custom content types. There is probably a limit to how many you can have, but it could be an option. If you are not familiar with custom content types: Create or customize a content type - SharePoint in Microsoft 365 | Microsoft Docs

He wants to use the data from the list that the user enters to populate a word template to produce a document.  But he wants to be able to select which document template to populate at runtime.  As I explained above that isn't currently possible the way the actions in the connector work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks for the clarification. And with 50 different templates, that's a big challenge. Good luck.

VeeLearnMSFT
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Thanks for the positive words LOL! 🙂

Thank you all for trying to help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (18,899)