cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ClaireAllen
Level: Powered On

SharePoint List Metadata move to a SharePoint Document Library

Hi,

I have managed to create my first flow as I have only been using flow for a couple of days

I have a flow that allows me to take a SP List and Copy the attachments into a SP Document Library, now I need to know how to take the Metadata Columns with it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you & regards

Claire

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint List Metadata move to a SharePoint Document Library

Hi @ClaireAllen,

Could you please share a screenshot of your flow's configuration?

Do you want to move Medadata columns value from your SharePoint list to your SharePoint library?

Further, could you please show a bit more about your SharePoint list and library?

I have made a test on my side and please take a try with the following workaround:

• Add a "When an item is created" trigger, specify Site Address and List Name.
  • Add a "Get attachments" action, specify Site Address and List Name. Id field set to ID dynamic content of the trigger.
  • Add a "Apply to each" action, input parameter set to output of "Get attachments" action.
  • Within "Apply to each" action, add a "Get attachment content" action, specify Site Address and List Name. Id field set to ID dynamic content of the trigger, File identifier field set to Id dynamic content of "Get attachments" action.

Add a "Create file" action, specify Site Address and Folder Path. File Name field set to DisplayName dynamic content of "Get attachments" action, File Content field set to Attachment Content dynamic content of "Get attachment content" action.

Add a "Get files (properties only)" action, specify Site Address and Library Name.

Add a "Apply to each 2" action, input parameter set to output of "Get files (properties only)" action. Within "Apply to each 2" action, add a Condition, click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:

@not(contains(items('Apply_to_each_2')?['{Identifier}'], '.'))

Within "If/no" branch of Condition, add a "Get file metadata" action, specify Site Address, FIle Identifier field set to Identifier dynamic content of "Get files (properties only)" action. Add a "Condition 2", click "Edit in advanced mode", type the following formula:

@equals(body('Get_file_metadata')?['DisplayName'], items('Apply_to_each')?['DisplayName'])

Within "If/yes" branch of Condition 2, add a "Update file properties" action, specify Site Address and Library Name. Id field set to ID dynamic content of "Get files (properties only)" action. TaskStatus field set to Status Value dynamic content of the trigger.

Note: The TaskStatus column is a custom column in my SharePoint library, the Status column is a custom Choice type column in my SharePoint list.

Image reference:

Full Screenshot:22.JPG

Details Screenshot:23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

The flow works successfully as below:27.JPG

28.JPG

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ClaireAllen

Hello @v-xida-msft

Thanks for your reply 

Screen shot of my current workflow below which copies the attachments from a SharePoint list into a Document Library, which is working really well, but now I want to introduce Metadata.

I have created a SP List with some Metadata Columns and I want to move the Column values into a SP Library, using the same Column Names.

Copy Documents from SP list.JPGSP List Doc Vault Upload.JPGSP Library Doc Vault.JPG

I will look at your solution and test, hopefully this will work for me.

Thank you

Claire

ClaireAllen

Hi @v-xida-msft

I've managed to replicate your flow, and it ran sucessfully.

Not sure if it is doing what I want it to do.

I wanted it to take the Metadata from the SP List and Copy it to the SP Library along with the document.

It uploaded the document but produced 11 versions and has not copied over any of the Metadata.

See Screen shots below

SP Library Version History.JPGSP Library Metadata.JPG

Any Ideas?

Thank you

Claire 

ClaireAllen

Hi,

I have a SharePoint List, where I have created a flow to move the list attachment to a SharePoint Library which is working really well.

I would like for the Column Metadata to move with the document, I am new to flow, I am not sure if you are able to move the metadata with the document,

Is there away maybe to update the Library column from the SharePoint List based on the Title of the document?

Any suggestions or advise would help.

Thank you

Claire

samstarzy

Hi Claire,

I saw your post on a question that I posted a couple of weeks ago and followed it back here.

I can tell you are missing a step here. You need to include "Update File Properties" after the "Create File" step and ensure that all the dynamic content metadata from "When an item is created" is copied into the "Update File Properties." See below.

2018_06_18_17_39_01_Edit_your_flow_Microsoft_Flow.png

Hope that helps!

Sam

Highlighted
ClaireAllen

Hello @samstarzy

Thank you for the reply, I don't get the same option as you do in relation into the Author option

Hope you can see from the screen shot below,

Thank you

Claire

Capture.PNG

samstarzy

Hi @ClaireAllen,

Author is a metadata column that I created for the list and library in the example of the flow I showed you. You will have different metadata. Base on your screenshot, it looks like you need to transer "Department" "Document Owner Claims" and "Copy Doc" from the list item that was created.

Hope that helps.

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,888)