Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Domin
Level: Powered On

SharePoint Online Calendar Reminders over 30 day

Hi all 

Could you adivse ?

We have a calendar setup as the App calendar in SP Online which holds tasks for users leaving and starting. I have built a flow which would look at the item when its created and throw a notification few hours before the time end on the item. However, the flow erros if the item is more than 30 days away. 

What would be a better solution for such calendar ? I would like to be notified every morning (if there is a starter/leaver) about upcoming starters or leavers. 

Hope this makes sense. 

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Re: SharePoint Online Calendar Reminders over 30 day

@Domin 

Flows can run for a maximum of 30 days.  To work around that limit, you can use a recurrence trigger.  See my example below.  In my example, the Flow runs once an hour.  The get items action returns only those items where the start time is between 3 and 4 hours away.  The expressions I used in the filter query are in the comments of the get items action.  The list I used is a calendar.

EventReminder.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Domin

Okay, that makes sense, 

If i have an event that is a whole day event can i then input these into an email the day before the even ends ?

Baisically - If even is tomorrow, send an email one day before that at 10 in the morning as a reminder

This would make it little more organised i think.

Super User
Super User

@Domin 

In your original post, I got the impression that you wanted the emails to go out a few hours before the event started - that's why I fire the Flow every hour and look at events 3 to 4 hours out.  You can adjust what I have done to accommodate any advance notice - I am keying off of when the event starts.  So, for example, you could adjust it to look for events that start between 24 hours and 48 hours out vs 3 and 4 hours simply by changing the expressions to reflect 24 rather than 3 and 48 rather than 4.  Also, you can set the recurrence to run once a day and even tell it at what time you want it to run.  Let me know if you need additional help.

EventReminder1.jpg

Scott
Domin

If i set it to run lets say at 8 in the morning to show me all events for that day and do between 9 oclock and 5 oclock, do i then do it like your example and it will look at everything between 9 and 5 right ?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Domin 

Here is an example that runs at 8:00 and will retrieve events starting between 9 and 5.  Be sure to set your time zone as appropriate.  You may want to adjust the recurrence to start at 7:59 vs 8:00 - I suspect that starting at 8:00 may miss some events that start exactly at 8:00.

EventReminder2.jpg

Scott
Domin

Hi again 

I have tried to re-create this and ran a few times, it doesnt seem to return any values when ran, nor send an email. 
I dont think its finding the items.  Maybe i have entered the filters wrong ?

Please see screenshot, maybe i have done soflow.pngmething wrong ?

Super User
Super User

@Domin 

If you run the Flow without your filter, does it return any items?  To test this, put a control terminate action after Get items so that emails don't get sent.  Take a look at the output of Get items - does it show that items were returned or does it just show [ ] ?

Scott
Domin

So without the filters it just returns 

{
"value": []
}
But it does send the emails. 
Perhaps i have enetred the filters wrong ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,262)