cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CoupalM
Level: Powered On

SharePoint Update Item Action : Managed Metadata multiple value new behavior can make you loose data

I've recently performed a small update on a flow that was working perfectly. After starting the flow on a selected sharepoint document, I started loosing metadata (managed metadata columns). After investigation, I saw the SharePoint Update Item action was different with Managed Metadata supporting multiple values. There was a "+ Add new item" button under the field and another button at the end of the field. Normally I was only setting values for columns I needed to update. Empty fields did not changed the item values. I was not setting these managed metadata fields so they were empty. With this update I needed to switch, in the action, the managed metadata fields to text (button at the end) and set it with same item field (I put back the value in it's own field).

I never saw this update being communicated... This could have created a major mess for my customer if I did not detected this issue quickly.

Question: Is SharePoint Online / Flow is a testing environment or a production environment????? This types of updates must be widely communicated in the Office 365 message center.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
makp

Re: SharePoint Update Item Action : Managed Metadata multiple value new behavior can make you loose

I am fooling around with managed metadata too, but your concern has been comunicated:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/managed-metadata-tago/

When you do update items you can choose different values - update hasnt change if you dont choose a value for a property it will not change anything.

Get properties:

"Document": {
        "@odata.type""#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedTaxonomy",
        "TermGuid""XXXXXTHE_GUIDXXXXXXXXX",
        "WssId": THE ID FOR TERM,
        "Label""THE_TEXT_IN_TERM",
        "Path"null,
        "Value""THE_TEXT_IN_TERM|XXXXXTHE_GUIDXXXXXXXXX"

And that will be parsed on create item.

So you should have a Managed Metadata Column in the Create end if a text field you would get a long string like: 1#FAQ|XXXXXTHE_GUIDXXXXXXXXX

But with update item you can choose wich value to be set - see link in top, this is good if you dont have Managed Metadata column on the Update end.

In my case i have Managed Metadat Columns on my "Get" end and none on the "Create" end, so the you can use "Update" and choose the value "LabelPathTermGuidValue or WssId"

In my case i update "Create" end with "Label"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
makp

Re: SharePoint Update Item Action : Managed Metadata multiple value new behavior can make you loose

I am fooling around with managed metadata too, but your concern has been comunicated:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/managed-metadata-tago/

When you do update items you can choose different values - update hasnt change if you dont choose a value for a property it will not change anything.

Get properties:

"Document": {
        "@odata.type""#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedTaxonomy",
        "TermGuid""XXXXXTHE_GUIDXXXXXXXXX",
        "WssId": THE ID FOR TERM,
        "Label""THE_TEXT_IN_TERM",
        "Path"null,
        "Value""THE_TEXT_IN_TERM|XXXXXTHE_GUIDXXXXXXXXX"

And that will be parsed on create item.

So you should have a Managed Metadata Column in the Create end if a text field you would get a long string like: 1#FAQ|XXXXXTHE_GUIDXXXXXXXXX

But with update item you can choose wich value to be set - see link in top, this is good if you dont have Managed Metadata column on the Update end.

In my case i have Managed Metadat Columns on my "Get" end and none on the "Create" end, so the you can use "Update" and choose the value "LabelPathTermGuidValue or WssId"

In my case i update "Create" end with "Label"

View solution in original post

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @makp!

Have you had an opportunity to apply @CoupalM‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
makp

I think you where a litle fast on the trigger, no recommendations is given, just an answer Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,032)