I've been using a flow to make a 1-field update. All of sudden, after having no issues with the flow for about a week, the flow started updating a second field called "Currency Type" with it's default value "USD" as part of the process. So I removed the default value (USD) from the item's column properties and blanked out the default value from the Update Item action to try and clean up the flow so that it would only update the filed that it was meant to update in the first place. After trying to save the flow to test it out, I started getting Flow Checker errors warning me that there were some required fields that needed to be updated as part of the action. Why would I be required to update other fields if I just want to use the Update Item action to update one specific field? Is there a way to get around this?
Also note that this flow is taking action against a SharePoint list with version control enabled, so I'm trying to avoid having the flow update columns that should be restricted to updates/changes made by the users only.
Hi @cdb2020 ,
Because these fields are set to required, these fields cannot be left blank when configuring Update item action. This is by design.
If any action in the previous step of this action can output the values of these fields, you can use the relevant Dynamic content to fill in these fields.
Besides, you could also consider using Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action to update this field.
Please refer to SharePoint Rest API:
Hi @v-bacao-msft , I can understand the required field constraint, but what I don't understand is why the Update Item action "randomly" chooses certain required fields and not others. Just to test this, I create a new site to mirror the one I have in Production that started to make unforeseen updates to my list items. When I created the new flow linked to the new site list, the Update Item action only had the ID and Title fields flagged as required. I ran the flow and it worked just as my original flow did:
Most of these field are ALL required, but only some are flagged as such:
I can't use the REST API, because I'm relying on a custom content type's field property to fix a flow duplication issue that @ScottShearer resolved using this method posted here:
So I'm pretty much stuck with having an Update Item action update fields that shouldn't be updated or living with a trigger (When an item is created or modified) that duplicates my flow when I update an item.
What I really want to understand is why the Update Item action originally only required ID and Title, but then as changes were implemented to the list items, some fields magically became required, even though they were required all along.
Hi @cdb2020 ,
As far as I know, Titles in the newly created list are required, we can manually set it to optional.
When configuring Update item action, because the item needs to be found by the item id to update, the id field is also required.
As for other fields, if they are not set to required, the update item action will not mark them as required.
If you have updated the configuration of the list, you need to reopen Flow to configure it. My tests on my side seem to be as expected.
I am facing a similar issue. It is annoying, but it doesn't affect my functionality.
It seems that the required fields are randomly required:
Shown below, all of my fields are required, but the 2 red underlined are required in my flow, but the blue is not required in flow.
If you look at the set up of your sharepoint lists they fields are set to 'required' so the update function will also require them to work.
The Title is required bt default and ID is needed to know which record to update.
without knowing your flows!
i would suggest after your trigger
Have a 'get item' action then in the required fields add the dynamic content from the fields that are taken from the Get items dynamic list.
This will then basically re-write your data back to the list with the field you want updated also done
Hopefully that makes sense if not feel free to message me 🙂