cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinKuzmicz
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint check if the item is a folder or file

Hi, 

I'm using "When a file is created (properties only)" as a trigger.

The will trigger also when a folder is created. So, is anyway if the flow checks if the "file" /item was a folder or file?

The reason I need is that later in my flow I'm using "Get file Content" and I'm getting an error when the "file" from the trigger was a folder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sure.

So I have compared if the "Name" is equal to "File name with extension" which both I'm taking from the trigger "When file/item was created"

I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it's working for me.

2018.07.11_15h26m25s_008_.jpg2018.07.11_15h23m41s_007_.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Bizzo
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi @MartinKuzmicz,

Could you try a condition in your flow and only run if the filename contains a period (".")? Not a perfect solution, but might do the trick?

image.png

Not really, because I know that users may use "." in the folder name. 

But I think, I found the solution. Thanks for the reply.

@MartinKuzmiczCan you please share the solution, so anyone who finds this will be able to use your answer?

Sure.

So I have compared if the "Name" is equal to "File name with extension" which both I'm taking from the trigger "When file/item was created"

I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it's working for me.

2018.07.11_15h26m25s_008_.jpg2018.07.11_15h23m41s_007_.jpg

View solution in original post

kapardhi
Frequent Visitor

Hello @MartinKuzmicz

I'm working on a similar flow, however when I'm using the trigger "when a file is created (Properties only)", perform a test run and when I create a folder in the specified "Folder Id", the flow is not recognizing the folder.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to help, but I don't completely understand what you mean with your message. (Sorry! Smiley Sad) Can you provide more details?

SoniaGr
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I was looking for the same thing and I have found an action for checking if a file is a folder, so maybe it will be of help for someone else. Here is the flow sequence:

flow.png

vbhange
Regular Visitor

File created action has IsFolder property which can be checked if it is True or false.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (17,872)