cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinKuzmicz
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint check if the item is a folder or file

Hi, 

I'm using "When a file is created (properties only)" as a trigger.

The will trigger also when a folder is created. So, is anyway if the flow checks if the "file" /item was a folder or file?

The reason I need is that later in my flow I'm using "Get file Content" and I'm getting an error when the "file" from the trigger was a folder.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sure.

So I have compared if the "Name" is equal to "File name with extension" which both I'm taking from the trigger "When file/item was created"

I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it's working for me.

2018.07.11_15h26m25s_008_.jpg2018.07.11_15h23m41s_007_.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Bizzo
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi @MartinKuzmicz,

Could you try a condition in your flow and only run if the filename contains a period (".")? Not a perfect solution, but might do the trick?

image.png

Not really, because I know that users may use "." in the folder name. 

But I think, I found the solution. Thanks for the reply.

@MartinKuzmiczCan you please share the solution, so anyone who finds this will be able to use your answer?

Sure.

So I have compared if the "Name" is equal to "File name with extension" which both I'm taking from the trigger "When file/item was created"

I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it's working for me.

2018.07.11_15h26m25s_008_.jpg2018.07.11_15h23m41s_007_.jpg

View solution in original post

kapardhi
Frequent Visitor

Hello @MartinKuzmicz

I'm working on a similar flow, however when I'm using the trigger "when a file is created (Properties only)", perform a test run and when I create a folder in the specified "Folder Id", the flow is not recognizing the folder.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to help, but I don't completely understand what you mean with your message. (Sorry! Smiley Sad) Can you provide more details?

SoniaGr
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I was looking for the same thing and I have found an action for checking if a file is a folder, so maybe it will be of help for someone else. Here is the flow sequence:

flow.png

vbhange
Regular Visitor

File created action has IsFolder property which can be checked if it is True or false.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,318)