cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gines
Level: Powered On

SharePoint if item is modified --> update file properties

I have a requirement which is the following: when a field is modified in List A, the same field in Library B must be updated too, but only if Title of the modified item in List A is equal to Title of Library B.

The problem is that the flow updates every item in Library B. So if I modify item 1, it will update all the items in Library B with the modified value, and not only the items where condition Title is equal to Title.

In this case, CollectionYear will be updated to every item in the library.

Capture.pngUntitled.png

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: SharePoint if item is modified --> update file properties

Hi @Gines,

I tried to replicate your scenario and this is what I came up with:

1. I used the same first 2 steps you have on your Flow.
  2. After those 2 steps, I added a Data Operations - Filter Array step. In the From field, I selected the value from the Get files (properties only) step.
    FilePropertires-1.JPG
  3. In the next field, I selected the Name property from the Get files (properties only) step.
    FilePropertires-2.JPG
  4. For the filter, I selected contains and in the next field I selected the Title property from the When an item is created step.
    FilePropertires-3.JPG
  5. Next, I added a Condition to check if the Filter Array is true. I used the expression below. Make sure you edit the Condition in advanced mode.
    @equals(length(body('Filter_array')), 1)
    FilePropertires-4.JPG
  6. If the Condition is true, then I proceeded to update the desired file property.
    FilePropertires-5.JPG

Please try those steps and let me know if you need additional help.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Did my response help? Please give it a thumbs up!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Gines

Hi @faustocapellanj,

Thanks for your reply, but it isn't working. The output in filter array is always empty, whereafter the expression result in the condition is false. I use a lookup field to check if the condition is true in filter array, maybe lookup field isn't supported yet, I don't know for sure.

Super User
Super User

Hi @Gines,

Since you need to update a document when a SharePoint list item is updated, how about you use the Title column in the document library as a unique identifier and use that in the Filter Query? For example, let's say you get the value of the SharePoint list Title column and assign this value to the Document library Title column. Then in the Get Files (properties only) step, you filter the document using the Filter Query odata field. Look at this solution I worked on with another user a while back, especially at the Get items and Condition steps. You will need something similar to that.

In the Get files (properties only), you will use the Document library Title column and see if it's equals to the SP list Title column. As for the Condition, it will check if the Filter Query is true or false. Try that and let me know.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Did my response help? Please give it a thumbs up!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Gines

Hi @faustocapellanj

I have tried it before with the Filter Query OData, but still not working. In the filter query I use "Title_field eq 'Title (dynamic field)' ", but the expression result is still false.

Title_field is a lookup field on the first list and I use underscore in the name, Flow can handle that, right?

Can you give me the link to the solution you worked on with another user?

Regards,

Gines

Gines

@faustocapellanj

I have managed to get it work. I have used the same actions and steps as I have stated in the first post, but the problem was the apply to each in 'Update file properties' action. It automatically appeared when I fill in the collectionyear value in 'Update file properties'. By removing the apply to each step, the flow is now working as I wanted to.

But I created another problem Smiley Embarassed

I have another flow in the same library: when the flow of this topic is succeeded, the other flow starts automatically running because the trigger is 'when a file is created or modified'. By updating the file properties in the 1st flow, the 2nd flow thinks it's a trigger for its own flow. 

Any idea how I can prevent this? What I actually want is a two-way syncing in a list and a library if an item is changed, but with this method now it will always start the 2nd flow. It's hard to explain but I hope someone understands me Smiley Tongue

Anyway, thanks for your help @faustocapellanj.

Super User
Super User

Hi @Gines,

One thing you can try is setting a condition in your 2nd flow to stop it right after it starts. What tha condition will be, I'm not sure. You will have to see at what point from the 1st flow you want the 2nd to start. As for the link from my previous, I totally forgot to add it. My apologies. Here's the link.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,075)