cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SharePoint item updated. Which fields changed?

All,

I am trying to post a message to a Slack channel each time SharePoint item gets updated.  Message should say something like "Task 'Paint the wall' has been updated.  Deadline changed to 5/10/2018, assigned person changed to Bob".  Other 10 fields which didn't change should not be mentioned in the message.  How can I tell which fields changed?

Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: SharePoint item updated. Which fields changed?

You cannot determine what column of data changed in a SharePoint list from Flow - you only know that a list item has been changed.  This is the same behavior that exists when writing a SharePoint Designer workflow.

While this isn't what you want, I will offer it as a workaround.  You can set an alert on your SharePoint list.  The alert email shows a subset of the columns in the list but always shows what column was edited and the new value.

You can create a Flow that is looking for alert emails - you can filter on the subject which contains the list name.

When the Flow runs, you can create post a message to a Slack channel which will include the body of the email which includes an indication of the column that has been changed.

While this isn't exactly what you want, it may meet most of your requirements.

Here is a sample alert email:

AlertEmail.jpg

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: SharePoint item updated. Which fields changed?

Hi @Aud,

Do you want to detect which columns have been changed when an item is updated in your SharePoint list?

I agree with @ScottShearer's thought almost, if you want to detect which columns have been changed when an item is updated in your SharePoint list within your flow, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently.

The "When an item is created or modified" trigger of SharePoint connector could only detect if there are some item updates within your SharePoint list, it could not detect which columns of an item have been changed.

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,856)