cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mike2500
Level 8

SharePoint library metadata...Solved?

It's been a known issue that SharePoint library triggers lack the metadata fields, which is problematic. A workaround was to use the item created/modified trigger instead of the file created/modified trigger. When I've done this in the past, this technique gave me access to the metadata fields, but not the file fields, such as file name, path, etc. But this morning I set up a new flow, and using the item created trigger, I clearly have access to both the metadata and a rich set of file related fields, such as Name, Link to Item, and even Folder Path.

1. Any idea when these were added?

2. Are these fields available to all tenants at this point?

3. What blog/feed should I have been following to find out about this earlier?

4. And a more general question: does this solve this issue for you? Personally, the addition of these fields makes Flow quite a bit more usable for me, and removes the obstacles I had for a few Flows that I was working on, so thanks to the team for getting this in place! 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint library metadata...Solved?

Hi @Mike2500,

Is the workaround the following one?

"Get Manager" For SharePoint Document Library Approvals

By Community Manager

Currently there is no new blog published for those newly added fields, but I think the Team is working on it.

Mostly new features would be published through the following Blog:

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Mike2500
Level 8

Re: SharePoint library metadata...Solved?

The workaround was simply to use the item created/modified triggers instead of the file triggers. As noted, this didn't fully work, as the item triggers didn't have access to the file info, such as name and path. But again, this seems to be solved at this point, as the item triggers now do have access to those critical fields.

It's a shame that documentation has been such a low priority for the team. MS is advertising that Flow should be preferred over SPD for new workflows, but I've found it extrememly difficult to build anything that isn't extremely simple, and keep running into issues where a little bit of documentation could have helped tremendously. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 179 members 5,185 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: