cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaWi
Level: Powered On

Re: SharePoint list item field updated

I want to hook onto this...

I created a flow like suggested with a switch statement on a column value. Works fine, thanks for sharing!

I have one issue.

Out of this line with the changed value i create a new list item in my calendar list. I try to set the start and end time of the new evnet to corresponding values of the list.

when I look into the results it looks like follows

This is what I have in my "trigger"

image.png

This is what i want to do as action

image.png

This is what happens

image.png

It always sets end date = null and thus the event will not show up in my calendar :-(

Any ideas?

Microsoft Employee

Looking at the screenshots you provided it looks like you're accidentally using the wrong variable to assign the end time.  You're using a variable called "End Time" in the flow when in the output screenshot you're showing a variable named "END Date" which looks like the correct format and the variable you want to assign the field End Time to.  👍

MaWi

Would be too easy. I Just created both. One is a calculated one. (Start + duration) the other is one i created for testing purpose. Manually added Date.
JenniferFGI

I was wondering if "a new trigger based soley on when a value changes" (as mentioned in the last post) was ever implemented.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would wonder the same thing myself. Was this implemented?

rgbrasel

It's implemented in Nintex, which is far superior to Microsoft. Unfortunately, I no longer have Nintex Workflows. Maybe Micro$oft should just buy Nintex and use it.
Super User
Super User

Can you please elaborate on this. When I try the Modified it just pulls in a date...how do you use this to tell you which column you are looking to see if it was modified?

JimmyWork
Level 8

This is defintly something we need now.

GarciaMcG

Hi,
I’m trying this with an Options column and I’m getting an error message every time I try to trigger the flow.
I have a Status column with pre-established options and I want to trigger different actions depending on what Status the column is updated to.
The Switch control after the item change trigger seems ideal but I cant get it to work.

Help!
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@GarciaMcG 

If you are clicking the field from the Dynamic content make sure you click ont he one that says "ColumnName Value" not just "ColumnName".

Choice fields are a pain in Flow sometimes!

HeidiAnn

Thank you for this thread, it helped to understand this issue a lot. I agree, this issue needs an simple solution ASAP. I just spent 30 minutes of my work time erasing duplicates from a log that updates everytime a change is made. Ideal would be to update the log only when one column changes. I'm not going to do any fancy coding solutions to achieve this, it would not serve our purposes, since we need a solution that regular non-IT-people can understand if it needs to be updated in the future. Until a solution is made, I'll just keep manually erasing the extra rows. 

Super User
Super User

@HeidiAnn 

I followed these notes and got it to work good on my end. 

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/5/microsoft-flow-sharepoint-trigger-on-specific-fields-changed-via-sp-h...

This guy here has some of the best Flow solutions.

Hope this helps!

Rebeca

JimmyWork
Level 8

I use this to but this is not what we are requesting.

Flow should only be triggerd when a column is changed.

Using John Liu's way is a temporary workaround. It triggers on modified or new and not on column change. This means the flow runs each time anything is modified.

HeidiAnn

Dear @rebeccas , 

thank you for taking the time to reply. If you read my reply, I said that this solution is too complex for our users. The Flows we use need to be simple enough for non-IT-personell to update and modify when necessary. 

There seems to be demand for this feature, I hope that Microsoft implements it at some point. 

Kind regards, 
Heidi 

Super User
Super User

@JimmyWork 

His solution is a "work around" ..they should add an option for just modified. But with his work around it will "run" for either a creation or a modification but you only have an action with it is modified and for a specific column. I use it for one that looks for only when the status of an item is modified. It works really good.

But I do agree for sure...it would be awesome if they came up with a more simple/straight forward solution that is just when an item is modified and then you can put in what you are looking for to be modified. Hopefully they will do that soon.

@HeidiAnn 
I agree, hopefully they will add in an easier solution soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 363 members 4,394 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: