cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint "move file" and file versioning

The Setup:

I've been working on a flow that routes files to specific folders based upon file name within SharePoint upon being uploaded, this is working great. Often an updated file will be uploaded a second or third time and routed to the same location, I am using the "Move File" function in Power Automate.

The Issue:

When a file is moved using the "Move File" function to a SharePoint folder where the file already exists it will either replace (erase version history), append a digit to the end, or fail the action depending on what I tell it to do.

Question:

Is there a way to preserve file versioning in SharePoint? Perhaps the "Move File" function isn't the right function to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the function to preserve file version is not supported in the Move file action in sharepoint currently, if you want to preserve the file version, I suggest that you could take a try with the Update file action, and you need to set the library for allowing version history.

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-alzhan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the function to preserve file version is not supported in the Move file action in sharepoint currently, if you want to preserve the file version, I suggest that you could take a try with the Update file action, and you need to set the library for allowing version history.

Best Regards,

Alice

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

"update file" was exactly what i needed, thank you.

Hi,
Would it be possible for you to share a screen shot of your flow?
I am trying to do something very similar, but I've yet found a way to increase the version number when a file with the same name is moved to a document library.
@v-alzhan-msft , do you have any information that can help me?
Thank you in advance
Claire

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello community,

I also have the same/similar behaviour. Does anyone have a constructive suggestion on how to achieve the same result with the update file action?

Move file currently overwrites the version number.

Many thanks in advance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,139)