Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Djamatt
Level: Powered On

SharePoint trigger doesn't initiate all flows when loading +50 files

Hello all,

On weekly basis I have 78 files that are updated automatically and published in the same folder on SharePoint. Because they are used in a web part, I’ve created a flow to complete the title of the documents.

This flow works fine in test situations with a small number of files being loaded, but when loading all 78 files at a once not all titles are completed.

I’ve redesigned my flow like to send a mail as first action, then update the title via the file properties. Last step is to set up 4 parrelel branch, each with a different option for 'run after'. This allows me to monitor if each upload triggers the flow + find out the status of the ‘update file properties’ afterwards.

This learned me:

• Some files trigger multiple flow sessions (going to 3 sessions), others just start one flow session.
    That a flow is triggered twice seems logical (once after initial upload, once after the modification of the name). But I can’t explain the 1 session, nor the triple sessions.
  • Flows that run in error (with code 409 conflict) are tackled again during a later run and end up fine with a title.
  • Only 72 of my files are touched by the trigger, for 6 files the title isn’t completed and don’t show up in my mails.

Now I have a couple of questions:

• What to change so that all files activate the trigger
  • Is there a way to prevent that the multiple sessions of flow a triggered? And is this a good idea to stop this, since it seems they also act as backup when the initial flow fails.

As you might already noticed I’m a newbie to MS flow, so I might have overlooked very simple settings.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: SharePoint trigger doesn't initiate all flows when loading +50 files

Hi @ Djamatt,

Could you please share a screenshot of the configuration of your flow?How would you complete the title of the documents in your flow?  

For your first question: What to change so that all files activate the trigger

Would your flow works fine in situations with a small number of files being loaded, but when loading all 78 files at a once not all titles are completed?

Could you please share more details about the 6 files which didn’t trigger the flow?

Please check if there are the same files in the sharepoint library as the 6 files when the flow runs so the flow wouldn’t be triggered when the 6 files is created in the sharepoint library.

For your second question: Is there a way to prevent that the multiple sessions of flow a triggered?

Which trigger are you using in your flow? Is it “When a file is created or modified”? or is it “When a file is created”?

If you create the flow with trigger “When a file is created or modified” and would update the file in the flow, the flow would be triggered twice because the file has been created and modified.

Please check if the trigger of your flow is “When a file is created or modified”.

Regards,
Alice Zhang

Djamatt
Level: Powered On

Re: SharePoint trigger doesn't initiate all flows when loading +50 files

Hello Alice,

Thank you for your reply. This is the flow i've set up to do the job.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/27261/album-id/6820/tab/albums

The flow works fine when I load file by file, but the moment I start loading multiple files at a time it isn't 100% reliable.

Maybe also interesting to know: I always load the same 78 files (same title), so that by loading I mean replacing files on SharePoint. For this reason I used the trigger 'when a file is created or modified (properties only)' and not the 'when a file is created'.

The files I load are xlsx files with a size between 100kb till 10MB. Beside size I don't realy see a difference between them. File type are identical, file name have always the same structure, they are generated on a same way, ...

I noticed that the bigger the file, the more chance my flow will fail on it. The files +1MB are almost always untouched by flow, those above 3MB are always in the list. However it can happen to smaller files as well.

Thank you in advance,

Djamatt

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Power Platform Online Conference

Speakers, submit your sessions now! Call for speakers ends Feb. 10!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,616)