Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dogemaster
Helper III
Helper III

SharePoint - update file "Access denied"

Hello Cat Happy

I have 2 SharePoint sites that contains all the same pages in the Site Pages library.

I'm building a Flow that triggers when a file is updated on the source site, and after this it is supposed to update the file on the destination site. (with the new file content)

I'm fetching the file properties from the destination site, so I get the correct ID to update the file with.

Unfortunately I'm getting this error message on the "update file" action:

"status": 403,
"message": "Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.

Here is my Flow:

flow-update.PNG

Which fails:

flow-fails.PNG

{
  "status": 403,
  "message": "Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.\r\nclientRequestId: e79d4c4b-edd6-4303-867d-8206f6810716\r\nserviceRequestId: c156cd9e-40bd-0000-99ab-01573b6d7629;c156cd9e-b0c4-0000-99ab-0351f96dcdf5",
  "source": "https://ingriddev.sharepoint.com/sites/kopier-til/_api/web/GetFileByServerRelativePath(decodedUrl=@p)/$value?@p='%2fsites%2fkopier-til%2fSitePages%2f11.aspx'",
  "errors": [
    "-2147024891",
    "System.UnauthorizedAccessException"
  ]
}

Has anyone experienced something similar? I have full permission to edit/delete/update files on both SharePoint sites.

Appreciate any thoughts and answers!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dogemaster
Helper III
Helper III

SO the solution was to use this command.

set-SPOsite -identity https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/site -DenyAddAndCustomizePages $false

This allows files to be updated in the Site Pages library.

Woohoo Cat Happy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi @dogemaster I don't think you're doing anything wrong with your logic, I believe the issue is to do with the site pages library within SharePoint. I've tested this in other libraries and it's worked. Upon further investigation, I have found a Deny permission which may be causing an issue:

Deny
Add and Customize Pages
Add, change, or delete HTML pages or Web Part Pages, and edit the Web site using a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible editor.

At the moment I don't seem to be able to find where this is being applied to remove it and test, but I'll have a look and see if this is the issue or whether it's a red herring.

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!
If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

Thank you for the answer.

I checked in the permission settings for the site, and it seems like I'm allowed to "Add and Customize Pages" so might not be this setting that is causing the problem. 

site_permissions.PNG

Hello again,

I tried making a new Document Library with Site Page content types, but unfortunalety it seems really unstable. (creating and editing pages fails a lot)
But I managed to update the file in this new library using Flow, but the file seems to stop working as a normal page and cannot be opened in SharePoint anymore.

Not sure what more I can do...

dogemaster
Helper III
Helper III

SO the solution was to use this command.

set-SPOsite -identity https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/site -DenyAddAndCustomizePages $false

This allows files to be updated in the Site Pages library.

Woohoo Cat Happy

View solution in original post

@dogemaster that's great, thanks for sharing. I'd actually completely forgotten about that PowerShell command!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I get the same error but can you please let me know where do I have to add this command : 

set-SPOsite -identity https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/site -DenyAddAndCustomizePages $false 

Thank you

Hi @Anonymous

This is a PowerShell command which you will need run from your local PowerShell Command window. You will need the SharePoint Online PowerShell Module installed, and then after you've connected you'll be able to use this command.

Are you familiar with using PowerShell in this way?

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Matt,

No, I am not familiar with PowerShell at all. 

Isn't there any other way to solve this permission error?  In my case, I get the failure when trying to download a file from a folder inside a library on my sharepoint. So I have to download frmo : sharepoing - Library - Fiscal Years - >week_no#.xlsx . 

My steps are : 

1) (SP) When a file is created or modified (properties only ) - here I point to the sharepoint address, the library name and to the relevant fiscal year folder where my .xlsx is placed. 

2) (SP)  Get file content - the sharepoint address; file identifier is the file name with extension. 

my flow fails at this step 2)-  since I provide the sharepoint address, library name and folder at step 1), does it know where to look at at step 2) since the second step only gets the entire sharepoint address? Does the error have anythign to do with folder inside a library ..? 

3) (OneDriveBiz) Create file. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,197)