Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy_Prog
Resolver I
Resolver I

Sharepoint Choice Column Expressions

Hey guys,

I have multiple choice columns on a Sharepoint list, the issue is when I read the column it reads as true or false depending if its selected or not.

I have used the following expression which I have seen on the forum

if(equals(triggerBody()?['Column1'],True),'true','false')

This returns false constantly and I can't seem to find a way to resolve this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @cblackl2000,

Thank you so much for your assistance, honestly I learnt something new from you!

I have realized there is some sort of bug on the flow application, so I have created the below which is working perfectly now after recreating it!:

Hi Display Name,

Below are the following Webinars you have choosen for approval:
if(triggerBody()?['Webinar1'], 'Webinar1 <br>', '')
if(triggerBody()?['Webinar2'], 'Webinar2 <br>', '')
if(triggerBody()?['Webinar3'], 'Webinar3 <br>', '')
if(triggerBody()?['Webinar4'], 'Webinar4 <br>', '')
if(triggerBody()?['Webinar5'], 'Webinar5 <br>', '')
if(triggerBody()?['Webinar6'], 'Webinar6 <br>', '')

Please await approval from your reviewer.

This will display the selected(true) Webinars in the email and blank space for false.

Unfortunately, line breaks aren't available in the Approval actions but we have found a work around.

I am happy to learn so thank you again for providing the above information which will be very beneficial going forward!

Hope you have a great day, week, Christmas and New Years!

Andy 😊

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
cblackl2000
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Andy_Prog ,

When I am stuck like this, I like to use Compose - to pull data and confirm the read-back first, so just a manual flow with the Compose step - to get the field data I'm looking at.  If the field you note 'Column1' is a boolean then you should get the true or false result.

However, for a choice column, such as A, B, C, or even yes, no as actual selections, you will then have a result that shows the choice.  Additionally, for choice (not boolean / not check box) then there is a returned item as ChoiceColumnValue - which you may want for filters.

cblackl2000_0-1639674163105.png

In these examples, only the CloseYN is going to return true or false; Status will need to be narrowed down via the returned item 'StatusValue'.  I hope this helps narrow down what you're looking at.

Hi @cblackl2000 ,

Thank you so much for your response I appreciate it!

When I read Column1 as a Dynamic content, it returned as true/false which I thought it would have been the same result in the Expression...silly me.

In Compose, can multiple columns be used? Or could you provide some example if possible?

There is more than one choice column too, which I'm finding very difficult to comprehend the actions to take.

I greatly appreciate your assistance! Thank you!

cblackl2000
Helper I
Helper I

I'm glad it makes sense.  Here are some screen shots to help show how I use compose when I need to be certain of the data returned. And YES, you can select multiple columns in Compose.

Compose1.png

Compose2.png

Compose3.png

Now, all that said, you can certainly use Compose in many other ways and when it comes to writing an expression from this (such as one to limit Loops on the Flow trigger), 

If you need more, please let me know if you are building those triggers or what you're needing to achieve.  Thanks!

@cblackl2000 

Thank you so much for your assistance!

I'm curious, how do I do this with a Yes/No column?

Andy

cblackl2000
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Andy_Prog , glad this was helpful.  In the example you will see CloseYN which is a Yes/No column and you see the return will either be true or false - certainly knowing this you no longer need to confirm this on your Yes/No columns, but it can be nice to see the data.  I have had instances where my Yes/No column was returning null (records that had been created prior to the field existing), so the Compose was still handy to determine this so I could take that into account.

@cblackl2000  The idea is....the PowerApps will true or false the column for Yes/No in the Sharepoint List for Webinars for instance.

Unfortunately, it only comes out as true or false for the first Yes/No column. Once it goes to the next column it becomes null.

The list:

Andy_Prog_0-1639762190448.png

The Basic Flow:

Andy_Prog_1-1639762251403.png

the if statement has 

if(triggerBody()?['Webinar1'], true, false)

but when I do this for Webinar2 it becomes null, same as the Webinar3-6, only Webinar1 processes through the Flow. The error I receive is:

Andy_Prog_2-1639762416125.png

Thanks again for your assistance, you're extremely helpful!

cblackl2000
Helper I
Helper I

Hi, you are most welcome and I hope we can get this working.  I am having difficulty understanding your scenario as a whole - for instance, do you want to send an email under certain conditions? Or are you trying to simply show the data for each of the items Webinar 1-6?  Or are you wanting power automate to set the values of Webinar 1-6?  Right now the IF statement in the email appears that it will send and email with the text of 'true' if the item is marked Webinar 1, otherwise it will send the text 'false'.  If you can help me understand what needs to be achieved, that will be terrific.

Not knowing what you're trying to achieve, I would still note the following:  

• If you are wanting to only run a flow when the true or false of the given field is true, you can put this expression into the "When an item is created (or modified" step - via Settings, Trigger Conditions
    • That expression would be @equals(triggerOutputs()?[/body/FieldName'],true) 
  • If you are wanting to set the field values, you can use the IF statement and use the Update Item
  • If you are wanting to only send certain emails to certain audiences based upon the Webinar setting, I'd suggest use of a Condition

Thank you again for any additional information you can provide.

@cblackl2000  I apologise for lack of information, I wasn't thinking outside the box.

The idea is, and it works for one of the IF statements, that there are six columns (Webinar1, Webinar2...Webinar6).

Once a user submits their Webinar choices the list would update with yes or no. This then would return an email to the user with the Webinar selection they have picked which I thought the below would work:

This does work for Webinar1 but the other 5 webinars will not work and the output is null, even though in the compose the output is true or false.

I hope I have explained it better, any other information needed I will be happy to provide as it's driven me mad 😥

Hi @cblackl2000,

Thank you so much for your assistance, honestly I learnt something new from you!

I have realized there is some sort of bug on the flow application, so I have created the below which is working perfectly now after recreating it!:

Hi Display Name,

Below are the following Webinars you have choosen for approval:

Please await approval from your reviewer.

This will display the selected(true) Webinars in the email and blank space for false.

Unfortunately, line breaks aren't available in the Approval actions but we have found a work around.

I am happy to learn so thank you again for providing the above information which will be very beneficial going forward!

Hope you have a great day, week, Christmas and New Years!

Andy 😊

So glad to know you got this working and that I was able to help along the way!  Have  wonderful remainder of 2021, Christmas, and New Year as well!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations 768x460.png

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022- Season 2 has kicked off!

Users online (4,147)