cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davemast
Level: Powered On

Sharepoint Items and Approvals as Another User

Hi there! I'm new to Flow and looking for some advice:

I've got a workflow that takes O365 Forms responses and creates a Sharepoint item. I would like to generate an approval coming from the user that actually submitted the form. Currently, when an approval is started, it's showing as coming from me (I'm assuming this is because my account is the connecting the workflow to Sharepoint).

Is there a workaround for this? Can I take a different approach to accomplish what I want, or is this simply an existing limitation? For the sake of clarity, I want to avoid having users directly create/edit items in Sharepoint - at least on this list.

Any insight or advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Sharepoint Items and Approvals as Another User

Hi @ davemast,

Microsoft flow support to start an approval coming from the user which have created the connection in the "Start an approval" action currently.

Starting an approval coming from the user that actually submitted the form is not supported in microsoft flow currently,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently. 

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Inaddition, you still could acheive to avoid having users directly create/edit items in Sharepoint list, please take a try to create flow as below:

Capture.PNG

When an response is created in Forms, the flow would run successfully to start an approval, and if the approver approve the request, the flow would run successfully to create an item in the sharepoint list as screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

You can reference the individual who submitted the form in the details section of the approval email.  You'll need to use the responders email address as an input for the Get User Profile action in order to retrieve their display name.

That said, your name will appear at the top of the approval.  The only way around that is to use another account such as a service account when creating the flow (or at least the approval connection).

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ davemast,

Microsoft flow support to start an approval coming from the user which have created the connection in the "Start an approval" action currently.

Starting an approval coming from the user that actually submitted the form is not supported in microsoft flow currently,

I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in Microsoft Flow currently. 

If you would like this feature to be added in Microsoft Flow, please submit an idea to Flow Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Inaddition, you still could acheive to avoid having users directly create/edit items in Sharepoint list, please take a try to create flow as below:

Capture.PNG

When an response is created in Forms, the flow would run successfully to start an approval, and if the approver approve the request, the flow would run successfully to create an item in the sharepoint list as screenshot below:

Capture.PNG

Regards,
Alice Zhang

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,942)