cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rohit4044041
Level: Powered On

Sharepoint List signle Field Update

I have a simple Flow created, whihch should updated Sharepoint list item field. 

List has two column, Title and Value. Title is mandatory field. 

Now items is manualy created in the list, with some value for for Title field and Value field being blank.

Whenver new document is uploaded to document library, it is supposed to update only Value column of the list.

However in flow, it is mandatory to select TITLE column value as well 

Is these any way to update only Value column without disturbing title field? Really bad design . It was fairly simple in sharepoint designer.  (We are instructed to achive this usin FLOW)

SPUpdate.png

7 REPLIES 7
Super User
Super User

Re: Sharepoint List signle Field Update

Hi @Rohit4044041

Simple put the Title of trigger action in your update action, "it will update to the same".

Hope have helped,

Gustavo Moraes

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Gustavo Moraes, o astronauta brasileiro do Flow!

Rohit4044041

Thank you, may be i dint write it clearly.

As i said, I am intrested in updating "key" field only and do not want to touch title value. Even If i want to set it to existing value, i wouldnt know it in every case. 

There should have been a way to update single field withough affecting other fields

ivan_wilson

Re: Sharepoint List single Field Update

The proposed solution will work in your case. The trigger step includes all of the original field values, so you can just set the new value to the same as the old value. SharePoint version history will recognize if a value is the same between versions.

My issue is similar, however my problem is when I want to update a single field in a list that contains a lot of fields (30+). The same solution works, but it is very tedious to set each field to its previous value. The user interface slows down, making the process time consuming and error prone. 

It would be great if there was the ability to click a checkbox on a field to assign it the same value as it already has. Or have a different action that allows you to just specify the fields you want to update.

Super User
Super User

Hi @ivan_wilson.

if you leave any field blank it will not update this field.

Only Required Fields must be 'update' to same value.

Now about a checkbox it's a really good idea, we can post this

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Gustavo Moraes, o astronauta brasileiro do Flow!

Highlighted
sperley

Is this still the case?  It seems like a silly workaround.  The problem is that when we look at the version history, it looks like flow is changing these fields.

My workaround is to make the fields not required, build the flow and then make them required again.

The flow should allow for a "don't care" state for fields not being updated.

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @Rohit4044041!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! Have you had an opportunity to apply @gamoraes‘s recommendation to adapt your Flow? If yes, and you find that solution to be satisfactory, please go ahead and click “Accept as Solution” so that this thread will be marked for other users to easily identify!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
Rohit4044041

Sorry, Unfortunately no, we ended up using old sharepoint desingner workflow. its really not a solution since, exisitng field needs to be modified and end up being part of version history and messing up the Audit system that user changes everything . 

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,309)