cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartyMorgan

Sharepoint files in Desktop App

Brand new to Power Automate.

Trying to automate a series of interactions between Excel & PowerPoint for my team which require the Desktop versions for both apps.

But I can't get past step one of generating the file instance variable, because the files exist on SharePoint.  When I start the "Launch Excel/PP" action and try to open the file, it can only browse locally.  Then when I try pasting an url/path to the SharePoint file, every variation I've tested has been rejected.

Is there a secret syntax to the SharePoint file download url within PAD? 

Or is there another way to generate a variable around an already launched app instance (it would be very easy to start our process with opening the necessary files THEN running the Flow)?

Any pointers would be very appreciated 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mark-Shenouda
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @MartyMorgan 
As you mentioned PAD will only browse the files on the machine.
You can try to Open the browser and user the URL , but I see that you need to use the Desktop version of the Apps.
For that you can try to Sync the Document Library on the machine and use the the file path on onedrive sync folder 
When the PAD applies the changes , they will be synced to the SharePoint file 
I hope this resolves the issue.
Best Regards

View solution in original post

ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

@MartyMorgan  what you can try is adding your files into a Blob Storage Azure service them make it public acces and read the file by using APIS call.

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

5 REPLIES 5
ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

hi @MartyMorgan  could you share an screanshot from the PAD action that you are using?

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Here are two screenshots below. 

The link you see I've tried here is from SharePoint's Share function: /People with existing access/copied link.  But other times I've also copied the url directly when the file is open in the Excel WebApp, and I've tried some YouTube url truncation trick.  Nothing has defeated the syntax error for me yet.

PAD Screenshot 1.png

PAD Screenshot 2.png

Mark-Shenouda
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @MartyMorgan 
As you mentioned PAD will only browse the files on the machine.
You can try to Open the browser and user the URL , but I see that you need to use the Desktop version of the Apps.
For that you can try to Sync the Document Library on the machine and use the the file path on onedrive sync folder 
When the PAD applies the changes , they will be synced to the SharePoint file 
I hope this resolves the issue.
Best Regards

MartyMorgan

Thanks for this suggestion.  I should have noted that I was aware of this solution option, which does work for team members in my organization.  But about a third of the team are consultants who have SharePoint access, but not sync'd local files.

I was looking for an option that I could provide as a solution to the whole team.  If sync'd local files is the official strategy to access SharePoint files from PAD then I understand.

ChristianAbata
Super User
Super User

@MartyMorgan  what you can try is adding your files into a Blob Storage Azure service them make it public acces and read the file by using APIS call.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,818)