Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveN
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sharepoint when file has been created in folder - get properties for next step

Hi

I am new to MS Flows and am trying to create a flow that monitors an O365 sharepoint folder and when new files are added, I want to make a copy of the file with a standard name and save this copy over the current file with the same name.

This is because I have another program that will analyze this file, but it always needs the same name and path.

I created a 'When a file is created in folder' step that monitors my folder, however I'm not sure how to pass the name of the file created into the next step which is 'copy file' (which asks for source and destination file paths).

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I figured this out, all I had to use was this template:

Copy files from one SharePoint Online account or folder to another

This provided a destination filename parameter.

It's now working properly.

Thanks

Dave

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
DaveN
Advocate II
Advocate II

Bump - any ideas?

Hi @DaveN,

Is the copy staying in the same folder as the original file or a different folder?

Thanks,

Fausto Capellan, Jr

Fausto Capellan, Jr
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Did my response help? Please give it a thumbs up!

Hi Fausto

The copy could be to a different folder or the same folder if that's much easier.

Thanks

Dave

@DaveN

What about the file name? Do you have a specific file naming convention for the other program to search for? You can post an example if you have one.

Thanks.

Fausto Capellan, Jr
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Did my response help? Please give it a thumbs up!

A new file is saved every day into this folder and date is in the name. I'd like to keep these files.

However everytime a new file is added, I need to make a copy of it and overwrite an existing file. e.g. the copied file would always be called LatestData.xlsx

I have another tool that looks at the file that needs the name to be constant. It is a visualization tool that looks at the latest data.

I figured this out, all I had to use was this template:

Copy files from one SharePoint Online account or folder to another

This provided a destination filename parameter.

It's now working properly.

Thanks

Dave

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power Automate Designer Feedback_carousel.jpg

Help make Flow Design easier

Are you new to designing flows? What is your biggest struggle with Power Automate Designer? Help us make it more user friendly!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,688)