Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Luka84
Advocate III
Advocate III

Sharing a OneDrive link with specific people

Good day,

I have a flow that creates a sharing link of a selected OneDrive folder and sends it to a specific customer email address.

The issue here is that the link is "Anonymous" and the customer is able to view other folders (for other customers).

We need a way to share the folder link with "Specific People" instead, from within the flow.

Is there any workaround for this?

Thanks in advance for any advise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The problem is the way the folder sharing works.  If you share a file anonymously with an external user then the only thing they can open with that link is the file.  Its not as convenient as sharing the folder, but it does give you more control.  The only other workaround is to create and share the folders in OneDrive directly with specific people and then use the flow to move or copy files into the folder when they need to be shared.  That should keep other people from seeing that folder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pre
Community Support
Community Support

Hey @Luka84 

If you would like to share the folder link with "Specific People" , can customize in the one drive folder (security section) like how you give permissions in the local machine folder and share the link to the specific people

Luka84
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi there I am aware of how this is done in onedrive, but i would like to do this from power automate directly when sharing a folder link. 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Right now there is no way to do that using the built in actions available in Power Automate.  There is a request to add the Specific People option to the sharing type.  You can vote for that suggestion here:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Create-sharing-link-for-a-file-or-folder-in...

Hi @Pstork1

I Did vote earlier but its been 2 years since the suggestion and i was hoping someone could provide a workaround, maybe using http request or anything else. 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Unfortunately, the HTTP REST call has the same limitation as the action.  You can only create links for anonymous or organization.

Hi @Pstork1.

Thanks for your prompt response. I suppose if this is coming from you then there's no hope in any alternative right now unfortunately... 

At least i know to stop searching and probably ask all users to manually set permissions once the link has been generated form power automate... Till a new feature is released. 

Thanks again, have a good day ahead

Hi @Pstork1

I Was thinking of alternative ways to achieve my goal and wanted to ask for your kind opinion. 

Is there a way where the sharing link generated from onedrive can immediately download the entire folder for the person clicking it, instead of opening the file viewer web page?

This would stop users from navigating all the shared folders on the site.

Looking forward to your response 😃 

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The problem is the way the folder sharing works.  If you share a file anonymously with an external user then the only thing they can open with that link is the file.  Its not as convenient as sharing the folder, but it does give you more control.  The only other workaround is to create and share the folders in OneDrive directly with specific people and then use the flow to move or copy files into the folder when they need to be shared.  That should keep other people from seeing that folder.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,159)