cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJA

Sharpoint List Submission Choices saved with Automate

Good afternoon,

I am using a sharepoint list to submit information that I need to then send through a workflow to get approvals. I have created the list using the standard sharepoint page:

BJA_0-1614798340876.png

BJA_3-1614798980357.png

I have also created a multi level approval process in Automate that works perfect:

BJA_1-1614798452806.pngBJA_2-1614798487451.png

The issue that I am having is that when I create an item in sharepoint and start the workflow anything that has a choice doesn't save to the sharepoint page once the workflow is finished running. I understand that the reason for this is because in the update item it has the dropdown selected as Choose One. What I am trying to figure out is how to either code everything so that the choices that are submitted on the form get captured or the easier thing would be to get Automate to disregard those fields so that what gets submitted stays. I have watched a ton of videos but am still stuck (Beginner Level). Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated. 

FYI: I feel that I might need to use something like a get item but am not sure how or at what point in the workflow that would need to be entered.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BJA 

All you need to do is delete the chooseone text from the update item and the original choice will remain.

2021-03-03 20-46-22.gif

View solution in original post

BJA

@DamoBird365 

You are awesome it looks like that worked I can't believe it was that simple .

Really appreciate the help.

6 REPLIES 6
DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @BJA 

If i have understood correctly, you create a new item with choices made from lots of multiple choices but when the flow triggers, they get overwritten with chooseone each time as part of the update item step.  This will presumably be because chooseone is the default value for these fields?  I believe you can simply delete chooseone from the update item and as there is no data supplied it will not be overwritten with the original item.

If I have misunderstood, can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Damien

BJA

Hello DamoBird365,

The dropped downs are all a little different example of one is:

BJA_0-1614803675125.png

What happens is that when I go into sharepoint and I fill in all of the fields that I need filled in and submit this triggers the workflow to start. When the workflow runs through the process of the approvals when it get to Update Item stage the workflow reads the field as Choose Item because that is what is in the box. I think that if I delete that it will just go to the next item that I have in my dropdown list. The part I can't figure out is how to make the workflow keep the selection that was made when the sharepoint form was first submitted and the workflow runs. Hope this makes more sense I am trying to figure out the best way to explain without being able to physically show on a screen.

Thank you for your response. 

DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BJA 

All you need to do is delete the chooseone text from the update item and the original choice will remain.

2021-03-03 20-46-22.gif

Ok I understand let me try that out.

BJA

@DamoBird365 

You are awesome it looks like that worked I can't believe it was that simple .

Really appreciate the help.

DamoBird365
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BJA 

Glad that got you sorted - can you accept my post as the final answer rather than your acknowledgement that it worked 😉  Folk will be able to find the answer easy then and I get my kudos too. 

Cheers

Damien

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (12,069)