cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_N1

Simple customisation to standard Teams Approval

New to PowerAutomate and floundering  a bit here.

My organisation is looking at Approvals in Teams and likes the idea of being able to use Chat with a person to start and an approval. So far so good.

They had one additional requirement. "When the item is approved, could you make it that Person X is also informed; via e-mail or Teams Chat?"

"That sounds simple enough", I thought, I'll look at the existing Flow and just tinker with it.

Except, of course I can't find the existing flow to modify and I can't work out which Template or From Scratch method to use in Power Automate. Most examples trigger when something is added to Sharepoint. 

So I'm looking for tips on 

1. How to create/amend something that allows an additional person to be notified when an item is approved.

2. Bonus points if the Approver can input the e-mail/identity of the person to be notified, rather than it being hardwired.

I'm not a coder, more a power user who has spent too long building stuff in SharePoint 2016 with classic Workflows and Sharepoint Designer, so be gentle 🙂

3 REPLIES 3
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Teams Approvals App is a custom built app and doesn't use a flow.  It uses the Approval action in flow directly. The documentation implies that you can create a pre or post approval flow but doesn't really suggest how.

Approvals in Microsoft Teams - Power Automate | Microsoft Docs

There are 4 templates available for doing approvals in Teams

image.png

If any of those are close you can build out from there.  The approval process itself has an option to inform the original submitter in advanced settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Many thanks: 

The documentation implies that you can create a pre or post approval flow but doesn't really suggest how.

It's a relief to know that it's not just me thinking it leaves you high & dry at that point. Phew.

I've been staring at those templates for the last couple of days, and am I right in thinking that, though Teams Chat stores its files in Onedrive, there's no real way to add an additional custom type of approval to the Teams Approval App and I'm barking up an impossible tree?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

I do believe you can use Approvals in Power Automate to accomplish what you have described.  I just don't see a way to extend the built-in Approval app in Teams to do it.  But you should be able to build something similar that will meet all your requirements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,980)