cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steveareno
Helper III
Helper III

Simple notifications not running - site designation the problem?

I have a super basic Flow that sends a notification when a new item is added to the list.

Flow with custom URL.png

The site was not listed in the Site Address field, so I added it as a custom value and selected the list the Flow runs against. When I add an item to the list, the Flow does not run at all. I'm not receiving errors or messages, either. I've tried running a similar Flow against a list on a site that was listed in the Site Address drop-down, and those Flows seem to work. So I'm thinking it has something to do with using a custom value in the Site Address, though I've done that before on other lists without any problem.

I'm stumped.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Steveareno
Helper III
Helper III

Well, I may have just missed something simple. I may not have given the generic user edit rights on the list this Flow is running on. I could have sworn I did that, but when I checked the generic user didn't have edit access. I changed it and now the Flow runs as expected. However, on another list where I use a version of the same Flow, the generic user did have access but wasn't the owner of the Flow. I set up a new version of that Flow under the generic user's log in and it works. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SudeepGhatakNZ
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Steveareno Could you try the below?

Under the SharePoint action step where you enter the site name click the Dynamic content and enter the site name manually. Save the flow. Generally it should resolve the site name correctly.

Thanks

If my suggestion helped you, please give it a Thumbs up and mark it as a Solution so that it can benefit others in the community.

Do you mean manually enter the site address in the Custom Value selection?

Flow sample.JPG

That's what I did above. It accepts the URL and lets me select the list the notification is for, but it never resolves the site name as it does with other sites. It continues to show just the URL I entered and the Flow doesn't run.

Steveareno
Helper III
Helper III

I've made some progress on this, but am still encountering an issue.

As far as the site not resolving, I came across a post that discussed an apparent bug along these lines:

"I have since found that if I open the site and click on a few pages therein, the site now becomes visible in the drop-down. I guess the system is trying to be clever and show us only the most recently used top 10-15 sites? We have hundreds of sites so it would be nice to have some other way of populating...a search perhaps?"

I tried this and the site was picked up in the drop-down so I was able to connect as expected. Once I did the Flow ran successfully, but only when I was logged in as the user who created the flow. We have a generic user account that we use for notifications, sort of a "Do Not Reply" address. I created the flow under that user's log in so that it picked him up as the sender. Normally we then share the Flow with other Owners so they can edit the flow without having to log in as the Do Not Reply user. 

When I'm logged into SharePoint as myself and add an item to the list, the Flow does not run and the notification is not sent, even though the Flow has been shared with me by the original owner. So I've made progress but am still kind of stuck. This is the only Flow I've created in which I've run into this problem.

SudeepGhatakNZ
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

When you say that the flow doesn't run under your account, for you mean it doesn't trigger or it doesn't execute the email action?

If my suggestion helped you, please give it a Thumbs up and mark it as a Solution so that it can benefit others in the community.

It doesn't trigger. It will trigger if it's running under the log in of the Flow owner. Usually we create the Flows under a generic account, sort of Do No Reply scenario, then share it with other members of the SharePoint development team so they can make changes and do support as necessary under their log ins. Other Flows that we have set up this way run fine when logged in as another user. But for some reason this one triggers only when under the log in of the person who creates it.

Steveareno
Helper III
Helper III

Well, I may have just missed something simple. I may not have given the generic user edit rights on the list this Flow is running on. I could have sworn I did that, but when I checked the generic user didn't have edit access. I changed it and now the Flow runs as expected. However, on another list where I use a version of the same Flow, the generic user did have access but wasn't the owner of the Flow. I set up a new version of that Flow under the generic user's log in and it works. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (5,549)