Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
trand86
Level: Powered On

Smartsheet to Approvals when value in cell is specific

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone has tried to do this. Trying to create a flow that looks like this:

When a sheet is updated > "Pending" is in the sheet (in a cell) > Generate Approval

I can obviously choose the sheet, but not sure where to go next. Tried adding a condition but really unsure on the format of expression thats needed, or where to even put it.

I can also add in "get columns" as another action after the first trigger, but then I can't seem to do anything with those columns other than write conditions based around the actual column cell, like it's name, unique ID etc.

Wanted to use Smartsheet because of it's forms and data collection and how dynamic it is.

Thanks for any help, I'm really new to Flow, and actually new to expressions and formula anyway, just not sure if what I want to do is possible right now!

7 REPLIES 7
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Smartsheet to Approvals when value in cell is specific

Hi @trand86 ,

Do you want to check if the value of a specific cell is “Pending” then start an approval email?

I have made some test, however it seems that we could not get the value of a specific column or cell directly.

Please add a request at the Flow Ideas Forum about this issue:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
trand86

Hi @v-yamao-msft thanks for replying!

That's correct, even if "pending" is anywhere in the sheet if I limit it to one entry at a time.

So I next tried to copy the data over to Excel (via OneDrive Business). My thinking was this:

When a new row is added to Smartsheet > Copy new row to Excel

I may be able to then get something in place to kick off Approvals. The problem is, when the columns and data is retrieved from Smartsheet, Flow seems to copy the new row to Excel but with each row on it's own column. I can't seem to stop this from happening, so maybe I'm not setting the flow up correctly.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @trand86 ,

Thanks for updating.

The issue could be reproduced by me when working with trigger When a new row is added to Smartsheet.

As you mentioned, flow will copy the new row to Excel with each row on its own column. A screen shot likes below:

1.PNG

I will help confirm this issue and back to you later.

Best regards,

Mabel

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
trand86

Thank you for confirming this issue Mabel.

So far I can't seem to find a work around. There are a few actions associated with the trigger "when a row is updated" in Smartsheet, such as "get columns" which then allows you to "get row cell data" but these actions don't produce usable results, at least for me.

I did try some odd things such as putting the cell data into a table as I thought maybe I could then pull that data but that doesn't work either.

Any suggestions you have from here would be great!

Many thanks.

trand86

Hi again @v-yamao-msft 

I wonder if this has something to do with the "apply to each" that auto inserts when I select ranges to import into an excel table from Smartsheet?

There's no way to get rid of the "apply to each" but I think it's grabbing the columns of a Smartsheet, and applying the action of "cell display data" to EACH column, treating it as is. Therefore, the column data that gets inserted into Excel goes in for each row. Like instead of column data being inserted into one row, each column BECOMES it's own row.

What do you think?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

HI @trand86 ,

Could you provide the flow definition, and raw inputs/outputs for the Smartsheet and Excel Online business actions?

Best regards,

Mabel

trand86

@v-yamao-msftHi there,

So I've stopped with Excel, and managed to make a flow work using Excel only.

I'm now looking at Smartsheet again, maybe you could help with this:

When a sheet is updated > Get a sheet > get the columns of a sheet.

The output from that gives the dynamic content "A Smartsheet Sheet with Rows" which has all column AND all row data in it.

How would I use workflow definition language to pull row data from that output into variables? I just want to be able to display a particular column and its display cell data, which exists in the output from "A smartsheet sheet with Rows".

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 123 members 4,694 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: